This 'scene' is overwhelming

An experimentation has always been central to rock, and that's what Broken Social Scene's new eponymous album epitomizes. Not satisfied to stay with what's already worked for them, they've pushed the envelope even more, taking the "growing as a band" cliché literally.\nSocial Scene's label, Arts & Crafts, is a constellation of Canadian stars including, well, Stars themselves, Feist, Apostle of Hustle, Valley of the Giants and Jason Collete. Interestingly, various clientele from each of these groups -- which amass half of the label's catalogue -- are now in the Social Scene fold. \nSince the release of their comedown-induced debut in 2001, Feel Good Lost, this Toronto collective has become a bit more collective. After swelling from two members to 10 for 2003's breakout, You Forgot It in People, now, two years later, they've reached a nearly unprecedented 17 members, and each distinct pop genius' pent-up enthusiasm is released all in one fell swoop on BSS.\nEach track seems to reach for Apollonian momentousness, creating a perpetual climax characterized by intense, shuffling rhythms. Regrettably, this makes for the album's overriding fault -- there's just too much. Although BSS is brilliantly ambitious and as positively charged as music gets -- exemplified by "Windsurfing Nation," a hip-hopping flurry of scurrying vocals and manic instrumentation, with Juno award-winning rapper K-OS making a cameo -- a little deconstruction and restraint in album production could have gone a long way, and fans would have a swirling orch-opus of baroque folk on their hands instead of an obnoxious assault.\nThus, as much as it pains me to say it, the group's audaciousness -- exactly what makes their stage performance so impressive -- hinders their latest studio work. While a few of the album's 14 tracks, such as "Swimmers" and "Hotel," do recall the mellow, pondering feel of People, for the most part a pollution of guitars, strings, percussion and horns spoils the broth; that is, save for the insomniac mumblings and standout vocals by the male leads as well as Stars' Amy Millan, Leslie Feist (Canada's Norah Jones) and Emily Haines of Metric, which released a sophomore album, Live It Out, the same day as BSS.\nAll this griping is not to say that BSS is a disappointment. No way. Using their honest passion and sheer attendance to form melodies that are at once crude, layered and sophisticated -- not to mention the creatively ambiguous lyrics -- Broken Social Scene the band remains a miracle of pop, an indie-rock symphony with rock 'n' roll soul.\nPlus, BSS' packaging rewards buyers with a limited edition bonus EP called For You and Me. Seven tracks, 26 minutes long, it's definitely a worthy addition, especially when -- more often than not -- bonus EPs tend to suck.