Pet sitting business provides owners alternative to kennels

Pet owners who hate to leave their animals in kennels while out of town now have an alternative to caging their loved ones -- in-home pet sitting.\nAnn Wesley said she found Bloomington to be the most attractive place she and her colleagues, Diane Stuercke and Lori Bauden, could start their business.\n"People here care about their pets and the community quickly showed it could support our business," Wesley said in an e-mail. \nBloomington Pet Pals is the only service of its kind in the area. Pet sitters meet with each client in their home so the sitters can get to know pets and their daily habits before the owner leaves. The sitters visit the pets twice daily, then leave detailed reports of the pet's behaviors and eating habits for the owners' return.\n"We took care of a cat who absolutely loved sitting in the bath tub licking drips of water from the faucet. So in the mornings, I would turn the faucet on and off quickly so that she could enjoy her favorite pastime," Wesley said. \nIn addition, they also maintain the security of the owners' homes, performing routine tasks such as turning the lights on and off, bringing in the mail and watering the plants. The business also offers a lawn care service if the clients request it. \n"Ann literally got to know every single one of (our) animals," Pet Pals client Debra Kent said in an e-mail. "When I got back home I found a detailed hand-written account of every day -- how they played with her, whether they were affectionate or not, whether they were sneezing, whatever. She also left 'report cards' for each pet and I'm pleased to say they all got straight A's."\nWesley said all three owners believe many people treat their pets as their children and attention and loving care should be options for pet owners. \n"My dogs had been to kennels, but it was always a traumatic experience for them," she said. "The care was good, but staying in a loud, crowded environment was upsetting to them." \nBloomington Pet Pals is now accepting reservations through its Web site, www.bloomingtonpetpals.com or by calling 320-3375.