Healthy mind, body, spirit targeted at Wellness Fair

In an effort to encourage Bloomington residents to enhance their health and well-being, the Greater Bloomington Chamber of Commerce and the IU Division of Recreational Sports are presenting the fourth annual Wellness Fair Saturday.\nSponsored by Bloomington Hospital and the Southeastern Indiana Health Organization, the Wellness Fair will take place from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday in IU's Mellencamp Pavilion.\n"It is a great opportunity to learn about improving your own personal health and take advantage of the resources that will be available there that day," said Sara McGoun, the vice president of programs for the Chamber of Commerce.\nThe fair will feature more than 50 exhibitors, providing information about the American Cancer Society, the Monroe County Humane Association, Jazzercise, adult fitness programs, spas and salons. \n"By attending, people will gain a better understanding of the services that Bloomington Hospital offers and the services that other organizations offer," said Jonna Risher, the director of marketing and community relations for Bloomington Hospital.\nBloomington Hospital's Healthmobile will make an appearance at the event, offering free body fat analyses. Free screenings for conditions including cholesterol, blood pressure, depression and anxiety, bone density and posture analysis will also be available.\n"The free screenings are always a good idea," said Nancy Burns, a representative for Southeastern Indiana Health Organization. "It's amazing how much you can catch that you don't know."\nThe Southeastern Indiana Health Organization's involvement with the event, Burns said, is influenced both by its role as a community organization and the fact that a healthier community leads to fewer claims.\n"We are really a community-based health insurance \ncompany. We really care about healthy communities," Burns said. "And of course, the healthier a community is, the more claims go down."\nThe event, organized in conjunction with the Jill Behrman Run for the End Zone, is scheduled so participants can visit the fair before and after the 10 a.m. run and while waiting for awards to be announced. Organizers also hope the fair will attract friends and family members of participants. \n"The Wellness Fair makes the run an even more distinctive event," said Kimberly Ruff, the director of marketing and sponsorship of the Division of Recreational Sports.\nThis year, organizers and exhibitors of the Wellness Fair are focusing on the theme of wellness in mind, body and spirit.\n"This is an opportunity for participants of the race and walk as well as the greater Bloomington community to come out and learn more about wellness and health organizations in our community that are focusing on all areas of wellness for mind, body and spirit for the community," McGoun said.\nThe money made from exhibitors will benefit Jill's House, an organization that provides housing environments for people undergoing outpatient therapy at IU's Midwest Proton Radiotherapy Institute. \nThe Wellness Fair is free and open to the public.\n"Participants will learn about taking care of themselves a little better than before and broaden their knowledge of what wellness entails," McGoun said. "There's a little bit of something for everyone"