The Buildings where we Study

IU architecture boasts long history, traditions

During freshman orientation, incoming students watch a short video in the IU Auditorium about "dear IU." The video features interviews with several students who express their thoughts on buildings, landscaping and the overall feel of the grounds. \nOver and over again, everyone says the same thing: "It's just so beautiful."\nThis begs the question: What is it about IU that makes students consider the campus so "beautiful"?

A world of limestone

\n"Most of the buildings on the campus are constructed of Indiana limestone," said David Walter of the IU Architect's Office.\nIndiana limestone, or Bedford limestone, is dug straight out of the ground. The oldest part of campus, once known as University Park, consists of brick buildings such as Owen and Wylie Halls, but the majority of buildings on campus are created out of the very substance formed here locally. \nLimestone is celebrated in Bloomington through other outlets besides architecture -- during the summer, the Limestone Symposium offers a look at work sculpted out of limestone.\n"Indiana limestone has unique qualities that allow it to be easily carved into shapes," Walter said.\nTaking a further look at the importance of the use of Indiana limestone is geologist Brian D. Keith, author of "A Walking Tour of Building Stone and Architecture on the Bloomington Campus of Indiana University."\n"What makes IU Bloomington's architecture unique is the conscious decision to generally use only exterior material on its buildings -- locally quarried limestone," Keith said.\nKeith explained this decision has gone on from the late 1800s to the present. As a result, he asserts it is possible to see how architectural style can change in a three-century span, especially when it is shown through a single method.\n"It gives a sense of both uniformity (in terms of material) and diversity (in terms of style) to the campus," he said.\nKeith also highlighted the uniqueness the architectural style gives to IU.\n"I do not know of any other community or grouping of buildings, campus or otherwise, that is like this," he said. \nWhile passing Maxwell Hall, graduate student Jennifer Hart shared her thoughts on IU's architectural uniqueness. \n"Even though it is large, it seems closer together because it is broken up and landscaped and taken care of," she said.

A long history

\nThe campus is split into different sections, but one of the most notable areas is the oldest part of campus. According to Keith's research, many of IU's buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places due to the efforts of John B. Patton, former professor emeritus and member of the University Committee on Historic Preservation.\nMoreover, the buildings date back to 1884, a year after the University moved to its current location. Situated near the Sample Gates, which used to be a driveway before 1987, these buildings represent the strong history of IU. \nWhen entering Maxwell Hall -- which now houses University Division -- the main hall displays a dozen photos of old IU on the walls. Below the pictures, the captions reveal a bit of history about Maxwell Hall and other interesting facts on surrounding notable structures. \nOne of the first photos shows a young man standing at a table. The caption states, "This unidentified man was the 1,000th student to register for classes in 1898. The Office Register and all of the other administrative offices were housed in Maxwell Hall until Bryan Hall was built in 1936." \nFrom only a few buildings standing in 1898 and about 1,000 students enrolled, IU has grown today to many buildings and a student population of about 38,000. Yet, before much of the rest of campus was built, much of the construction and reconstruction took place in what is known as the original part of IU's campus. \nWhen IU moved to its current location in 1884, it began with Owen and Wylie Halls. In Wylie Hall, a plaque states: "Establishment of a Permanent Campus." \nAdditionally, the plaque explains the majority of the funding for IU's big move to University Park was funded by the Monroe County community. As a result, Wylie and Owen were erected June 7, 1884, and named as a thank you and memorial for Andrew Wylie, the first president of IU, and Robert Owen, a major contributor to the University.

Styles on Campus

\nIn Keith's "Tour of Campus," he states, "Both were designed by the architect in similar style." Both contain elements of Italianate and High Victorian Gothic styles. \n"The low roof, entrance tower, flattened arches and cornice are all features of the Italianate style, whereas the polychrome brick plus the use of contrasting limestone above the windows, at corners of the arches and in bands around the building reflect High Victorian Gothic style," Keith said.\nAfter a fire blazed through Wylie in 1900, elements that Wylie and Owen shared were never rebuilt. Wylie lost its twin entry hall and instead gained an additional floor. Keith points out that this is why Wylie is noticeably simpler. Oddly, the often unnoticed black lines and mysterious black bands around Wylie today are actually remnants of the fire.\n"Until the brick was cleaned of soot and grime in the 1980s, no one was aware of the colored black bands and red brick that surround the building," Keith said.\nAfter Owen and Wylie were built, Maxwell was finished in 1890, which eventually led to the construction of Kirkwood Hall in 1895 and Lindley Hall in 1902. The three share similar architectural features that Keith notes are Romanesque. When looking at these buildings one can notice the horizontal and immense exterior that sets the style apart from the Victorian style of Owen and Wylie.\nIU architect David Walter said he didn't recall hearing any architectural critics ever discuss the buildings and stylistic flourishes of the Bloomington campus.\nBut, Walter said if pressed to pick a personal favorite, it is Maxwell Hall.\nThe structures in the original part of campus vary in their architectural style, which makes them all a bit unique. There is a unique style and each has its own bit of history. Walter stated he believes the Rose Well House is the most distinctive.\n"It is an open air pavilion, it has a drinking fountain and it incorporates portions of one of the buildings from the original campus at Seminary Square, as well as stained glass panels," he said.\nAnd if anyone has been wondering why the fountain does not really work, Walter explained that too.\n"There never was a well -- only a cistern for storing drinking water," he said. \nBeyond University Park, there are many other buildings that have created their own image on campus. Junior Angela Babb's favorite building was not one of the original constructions. \n"I think Memorial Hall is my favorite," she said. "It's a pretty building."\nIn the end, IU's architecture is rooted in Indiana history but through its range of style, shows elements of growth. It is a rare thing to see a campus where the buildings are made completely of limestone. Even more rare is one built of an element that represents the history of the area in which the campus is built. \n"All this history and a tradition too, what more can you ask for in a building?" Walter said.