IU overcomes scoring troubles at Hoosier Classic

3 goals against Xavier pushes win total to 2 for season

Scoring goals has been a struggle for the IU women's soccer team so far this season. Sunday, against Xavier, it was not.\nIn its previous five matches, IU (2-3-1) totaled two goals. During the conclusion of the inaugural Hoosier Classic at Armstrong Stadium, the Hoosiers found the back of the net three times for a 3-1 victory. The scoring started when senior midfielder Kristen Zmijewski connected on a shot at the 19:23 mark. The goal was the second of the season for Zmijewski, who recorded the Hoosiers only score in a 2-1 loss to the University of Miami (4-1) in the team's home opener Friday night.\n"I think we'll definitely start scoring a lot more now," Zmijewski said. "Getting on the board Friday and scoring three goals today boosts our confidence. We just have to know that we can put balls in the back of the net and then we'll take the risks and be successful."\nDespite the win, she said the team was not happy with the way it played Sunday.\n"Friday, we came out with a lot of intensity, but didn't win," she said. "Today, we got the win, but we could have played better as a team. We were kind of all over the place. We don't want to be satisfied with how we played today knowing that we can play better." \nIU coach Mick Lyon echoed Zmijewski's sentiments, saying he thought his team was a little sloppy, although he did add he was happy with the team's effort considering the early afternoon game was played in 90- degree weather.\n"I am happy about the result, but I'm not happy about our performance," Lyon said. "There were times when we looked perfect, but a lot of the game was sloppy."\nNevertheless, Lyon is proud of the way the team has handled itself so far this season. He also believes the team is much better than its record reflects.\n"The girls have been disappointed because they believe that we should have won our last four games, instead we went 2-2," he said. "It has been very challenging being on the road the first two weekends and then to have the home opener against an ACC team. But that's the way we want it to make sure that we are ready for the Big Ten season. I think that we'll keep up a high level of play and hopefully put together a lot more wins."\nThe Hoosiers' defense -- which has been recognized as solid this season -- only allowed eight shots all game. Senior goalkeeper Lauren Fabbro, who had five saves and allowed one goal, was not satisfied with the performance.\n"A win always feels good, but there are definitely things we can improve," she said. "Allowing one goal is better than two, but I'd rather not allow any. We need to watch film, look at what we did wrong and keep improving. Hopefully, we can put up some more shutouts and get some more wins." \nThe Hoosiers will be at home again next weekend to take on Butler University and Bowling Green State University, before starting Big Ten play the following week.