IU coaches get down and dirty

Young staff leads by example in early season practices

Aggressiveness isn't just an attribute IU softball team members have -- it's also an attribute of the coaches.\nJust take first-year assistant coach Michelle Puls as an example. During a practice earlier this year, she said she was criticized by some of her players for not getting dirty and diving for a ball. \nWhen the opportunity arose for Puls to lay out for a ball later, she dove.\nThat kind of aggressive play is what players like freshman shortstop Stephanie Pellerito say compels them to pay more attention to their coaches.\nHead coach Stacey Phillips and assistant coaches Tarrah Beyster and Puls comprise a coaching staff that is nearly as young and agile as its players. \nPhillips and Beyster are only five years removed from their collegiate careers -- Phillips played at Michigan State and Beyster at Oregon State. Puls is eight years removed from playing at the University of Maine. \nShe said IU's softball team has an advantage with a young coaching staff. \n"It drives me nuts when I see a coach sitting on a bucket," Puls said.\nPellerito said the team can learn a lot more from the coaches because they are more active.\n"All the coaches (for other teams) are old," Pellerito said. "How many teams have people pitching to them?"\nWhether diving for a fly-ball or just playing catch, Phillips believes an active staff will create a better team. \n"We do have a very solid staff in that we can show them how to do it," she said. "We have a competitive advantage in that the players can try to beat their coaches."\nOn Sept. 25, that competitive advantage paid off. \nThough playing only three innings due to rain, the Hoosiers jumped out to a 4-0 lead against Eastern Illinois University. The Hoosiers had their second and third games against Indiana State University and Parkland College cancelled as well. \nPhillips said she was disappointed IU couldn't finish the games since she believes the offense was really coming alive. \nBut she tried to keep things in perspective.\n"I can't complain too much on the rain, considering what the folks down South are getting," she said, also noting the Hoosiers enjoyed the time off.\nThe Hoosiers will play host to Butler University and the University of Louisville at 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Sunday at the IU softball field.