Hoosier journeys to Washington for peace

540-mile walk commenced to 'enliven Friends'

Shelley Newby will walk 540 miles from New Castle, Ind., to Washington, D.C., to demonstrate her commitment to peace, a journey she started Sept. 3. \nHer walk for peace will take her through four states on her way to complete her journey by Oct. 13. Newby wears a small white piece of cloth pinned to her backpack with "walking for peace" scrawled across it. \n"I particularly hope it will enliven Quakers and other peace church members to recommit to peace through personal and collective action," Newby said. "Jesus has said 'follow me,' and I have said 'yes.'"\nIn Washington, Newby said she hopes to convey the vision of peace and love to those she encounters by communicating it to members of the Senate and sparking a collective action of faith among people miles apart.\n"I received a vision in which I saw myself walking a long distance," Newby said. "Over time this vision has unfolded as a faith journey on behalf of peace, and the long walk is to Washington, D.C." \nTo prepare for her journey to Washington, Newby contacted churches and faith organizations along National Road 40, the highway Newby travels. Aid from these organizations came in the form of overnight housing, food and companionship from those who support her in her quest. Along her trek, Newby said she hopes to inspire and spread the message of peace through faith in God to those whom she encounters on her way.\n"I hope to speak with (U.S. Sen.) Richard Lugar (R-Ind.) and others along the way," said Newby. "I will share with him my message for peace through God's message and through the support that I have received from those I have come in contact with."\nThe beginning of Newby's quest started April 6 when God called her during her daily meditation and prayer, she said.\nDuring her 42 nights on the road, Newby will depend on Friends -- a common term for Quakers. The Rev. Richard Miller volunteered to open his house to her message of peace. \n"She illustrates peace through peaceful actions, not by hostile confrontation," Miller said. "She certainly influenced me greatly. I will take action and spend more time in meditation and prayer about peace. At a Friends meeting we may do some local walking for peace in our local area while Shelley heads for D.C."\nNewby said she averages about 15 miles per day. She is joined on her walk by many people she meets along the way who, she said, gained inspiration from her message and her effort to spread peace throughout the country.\n"I have been touched by people's earnestness to be a part of my project." Newby said. "Some of the classrooms of schools along the way have created bulletin boards following our route and pictures and my updates."\nUsing e-mail and cell phones Newby keeps in touch with her family, getting support from her three children and husband as she travels across the northeastern United States.\n"Ideologically I am with her 100 percent," said Newby's husband John. "But I have concerns about this journey that she is taking. I am worried for her safety and in managing the house on my own, but these are easy inconveniences to overcome when I look at the message that she is sending out."\nNewby said she will use her faith and love in God to ensure her commitment and continuity of this expedition. \n"I know that my faith has been strengthened by my commitment to this task," Newby said. "And I feel in greater measure than ever before God's love for all creation and all humanity and that inspires me to do the same. Beyond these things, who knows"