Finding the right fit

After Saturday's 2-1 exhibition win, IU looks to put final roster pieces into place

IU coach Mike Freitag used his second different starting lineup in two games as the Hoosiers ended their preseason schedule by defeating University of Illinois-Chicago 2-1 Saturday. \nAfter a year of consistency in the Hoosier lineup, Freitag experimented with several different combinations of players throughout Saturday's match. \n"I just want to find the right starting 11, the right chemistry," Freitag said. "I've kind of been jerking the guys around a little bit because I've been making so many changes."\nA storm made the pitch at Armstrong Stadium unplayable, so the Hoosiers and Flames switched venues to the turf at Memorial Stadium. The wet, packed-down field provided a field of play more comparable to a gym floor than a soccer field, speeding the game up for the Hoosiers.\nAfter several untapped scoring chances early in the game, senior midfielder Brian Plotkin started the scoring for the Hoosiers in the 25th minute on a 30-yard blast, which found the back of the net after going past UIC goalkeeper Jeff Engelbrecht. Senior forward Mike Ambersley made his presence felt immediately, assisting the Plotkin goal only two minutes after entering the game.\n"It's nice getting one early. It builds the confidence a little bit," Plotkin said. "A few guys are struggling to find the net right now, but the more you shoot, the more go in. We will find ways to get goals, but if we can't get goals, we will just defend and find ways to win games."\nPlotkin's goal was the difference heading into halftime as the Hoosiers led the Flames 1-0. The Hoosiers dominated play in the first half, outshooting the Flames 9-0 and maintaining possession on the Flames' half of the field for the majority of the period.\nFreitag continued to juggle the lineup in the second half by using seven different players who didn't see action in the first half. Six minutes into the second half, the Plotkin-Ambersley connection worked again to put the Hoosiers up 2-0. This time Plotkin played the setup man, streaking down the sideline and slotting the ball to Ambersley who put the ball just out of Engelbrecht's reach.\nThe Hoosiers had plenty more opportunities to score, but could not convert. In the 58th minute, junior forward Jacob Peterson set up junior forward Kevin Robson for a shot that hit the post and went out of bounds. Twenty minutes later, Peterson had a one-on-one breakaway with UIC goalkeeper Ross Cain, but Peterson's shot ended up wide left.\nThe Flames answered with a goal of their own in the 79th minute when UIC sophomore midfielder Pavle Dundjer's free kick from the sideline skipped though a crowd of players and found the side netting. The Flames outshot the Hoosiers 6-5 in the second half.\nSophomore Chris Munroe started his second straight game in goal for the Hoosiers, but he did not need to make a single save as the Hoosier defense kept UIC from attempting a shot on goal in the first half. Munroe again split time with freshman goalie Chay Cain, who allowed a goal for the second straight game.\n"I've been lucky not having to do too much because the defense has been playing really well," Munroe said. "I've been real pleased with the way the team is playing defensively. It's nice as a goalkeeper when you don't have much action -- that just means you aren't giving up goals."\nThe No. 1-ranked Hoosiers open up their regular season by hosting the Adidas/IU Credit Union Classic this weekend. The Hoosiers will welcome No. 7 Southern Methodist University, No. 10 Wake Forest and No. 16 Notre Dame at Armstrong Stadium. They will face Wake Forest at 7 p.m. Friday and SMU at 2 p.m. \nSunday.\n"I was happy with the way we played tonight," Freitag said. "I still think we are coming together as a team. It takes awhile to gel, but I'm pleased with the steps we are taking"