world

Blair: We must stop extremist attacks

Conference to focus on preventing future bombings

LONDON -- Prime Minister Tony Blair said Wednesday he was considering calling an international conference on how to eliminate Islamic extremism following the London suicide bombings, while Britain's Muslim leaders demanded a judicial inquiry into what motivated the four "homegrown" suicide bombers.\nA Pakistani intelligence official said investigators there arrested a man that he said had direct links to the July 7 bombings that killed 56 people, including the four bombers.\nThe proposed international conference, Blair said, would focus on the possibilities of taking "concerted action right across the world to try to root out this type of extremist teaching," particularly in religious schools, known as madrassas.\nBlair told the House of Commons he recently spoke with Pakistan President Gen. Pervez Musharraf and was satisfied there was a "real desire and willingness on part of Pakistan's government to deal with madrassas preaching this kind of extremism."\nHe said 26 countries had been attacked by al-Qaida and associated groups, "so there is obviously a huge well of support and understanding for the problems that we have faced in this country just recently."\nBritish Islamic leaders Wednesday called for a judicial inquiry into what motivated the bombers.\n"The scale of disenchantment amongst Muslim youth is very clear to see," said Inayat Bungalwala of the Muslim Council of Britain.\n"Various factors are at play: underachievement in education; a high rate of unemployment; discrimination in the workplace; social exclusion, and also the government's own policies, especially in Iraq. The process of how we get four homegrown suicide bombers must be understood and that is why we are calling for an inquiry."\nHome Secretary Charles Clarke would consider the merits of an inquiry and make a decision in September, his office said.\nClarke told lawmakers that police identified all 56 people known to have died in the July 7 attacks on three Underground trains and a double-decker bus.\nSpeaking in the eastern city of Lahore, the Pakistani intelligence official declined to say when the man was arrested or elaborate on his alleged links to the London bombings except to say those links were direct. The official spoke on condition of anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to the media and because of the secretive nature of his job.\nPakistani police earlier reported arresting seven people with links to the bombings.\nTwo Pakistani intelligence officials said British authorities had asked that about 100 Pakistani telephone numbers be checked out for possible links to the suicide bombers. Authorities had concluded that nearly 80 numbers did not provide information useful to the case, said the officials, who did not want to be named because of the sensitive nature of their work.\nThe remaining 20 numbers, which included both fixed lines and cell phones, were under investigation, the officials said. Some were no longer in use, and authorities were trying to establish who had registered them originally.\nThe officials said Britain also provided names of several people in Pakistan who allegedly received calls from the suicide bombers in the past year.\nBritish detectives continued to hunt for the masterminds of the attacks, but The Times newspaper reported Wednesday that authorities remain uncertain whether an organizer slipped out of Britain just before the blasts.\nPolice in London removed a shattered carriage from a subway station late Tuesday. The train carriage was removed from the Edgware Road station, one of two attack sites on the Circle Line around central London. The 20-ton car, shrouded in blue tarpaulins, was taken to a secure police facility for further investigation.\nLondon Underground said it hopes to resume full service on the line by Aug. 2.\nKey questions remain unanswered in the investigation, Metropolitan Police Commissioner Sir Ian Blair said Tuesday, including: "Who is the chemist? Who are the people who trained them? Who facilitated their trip to Pakistan?"\n"Whoever is doing that is still out there," Ian Blair told a meeting of Christians, Muslims and Jews.\nThe Times quoted unidentified police sources as saying they believe a man visited London and the hometowns of the four suspected suicide bombers but left hours before the attacks.\nIt quoted unidentified security sources as saying they had ruled out one suspected organizer as a case of mistaken identity.\nThe Egyptian government said Tuesday that Magdy el-Nashar, a biochemist who taught at Leeds University and is wanted for questioning by Britain, had no links to the attacks or to al-Qaida. Leeds is the hometown of two men identified by police as suicide bombers.\nThree of the London suspects -- Hasib Hussain, 18, Mohammed Sidique Khan, 30, and Shahzad Tanweer, 22, all Britons of Pakistani descent -- traveled to Karachi in southern Pakistan last year, and Pakistani security officials believe Tanweer spent a few days at a religious school in Lahore, where many militant groups have clandestine operations.\nFearful of another attack, British Transport Police have dispatched dogs to search for explosives on the Underground. Dogs have been used before on the train connecting Heathrow airport to the capital, but police said this was the first time they were being sent into the subway system.\nTony Blair met Tuesday with two dozen representatives of the Muslim community to discuss anti-terror legislation the government plans to introduce by year's end.\nThe Muslim leaders will be "able to talk to the Muslim community and confront this evil ideology, take it on and defeat it by the force of reason," the prime minister said.