Timberwolves pick Wright in 2nd round

Minnesota selects Bracey No. 47 overall

Forty-six picks came and went, but Bracey Wright's Draft night came to a close as the Minnesota Timberwolves selected him in the second round with the No. 47 pick overall.\nThough Wright was drafted, only first round picks are given guaranteed contracts. Despite falling lower than he and his agent Bob McClaren felt he would go, Wright said he is still excited about going to the Timberwolves.\n"It feels really good to have Minnesota select me," Wright said in a statement. "I am willing to do whatever they need me to do next season. They have a great group of players already there, including Kevin Garnett, and I am just happy to be a member of their team."\nIn going to Minnesota, Wright will be going to a team that just missed the playoffs in the Western Conference with a 44-28 record. While the team doesn't have any major free agents, Minnesota does have a glut at the guard position with seven under contract. The Timberwolves do have some uncertainty with one free agent and current guard Fred Hoiberg undergoing heart surgery Tuesday.\nAs the night went on, McClaren was working the phones in hopes of getting Wright as high as possible in the Draft, but because of the way the Draft shook out, Wright fell, McClaren said.\n"As we went into the late portion of the first round we expected to hear some news and I guess the anxiety kind of grew," said McClaren, who also represented Deron Williams, the No.3 overall pick in the Draft to the Utah Jazz. "I talked to a couple of teams through the whole evening and I felt they were going to get Bracey a little earlier. But there were still players on the board that they didn't expect."\nWright is the first player to be drafted from IU since 2002 when Jared Jefferies went No. 11 to the Washington Wizards. Since IU men's basketball coach Mike Davis took over in 2000, the Hoosiers have had three draft picks, including former IU player Kirk Haston in 2001 with Charlotte \nHornets.\nDavis was happy to see his most recent standout land in the NBA, he said in \nstatement. \n"I am excited for Bracey being drafted by Minnesota," he said. "Ever since he came to Indiana, his goal was to reach the NBA."\nWhile Wright was counted on as a scorer at IU, averaging more than 18.3 points per game his junior season and nearly 1,500 for his career, there are plenty of options in Minnesota be counted on for scoring, including his draftmate Rashad McCants, who was picked No. 14 overall.\nMcCants and Wright have a history together -- this past season both faced off when UNC played IU. McCants got the better of the faceoff, as he scored 19 points to Wright's 18 and the Tarheels beat the Hoosiers 70-63.\nThe duo is excited about getting to Minnesota and helping the Timberwolves, Wright said.\n"I have talked with Rashad and we are both excited to play together," he said. "Rashad and I have played together before back in high school. We are good friends off the court, so I am looking forward to playing with him in Minnesota."\nThroughout the process of working out for teams, one of the teams that Wright came away the most impressed with was Minnesota, McClaren said. McClaren said that Wright even called after he worked out with the Timberwolves hoping they would draft him.\n"I stayed in Minneapolis for a couple of days when I worked out for the Timberwolves, and it is a great city with great basketball fans," Wright said. "I am looking forward to contributing to the team's success in the future."\nNext up for Wright is a trip to Minnesota to meet with teammates. He will be participating in Minnesota's NBA Summer League July 15 to 19.