Cutcliffe to step down at Notre Dame

OXFORD, Miss. -- As of right now, his heart -- literally and figuratively -- isn't in it. \nIn a shocking move Wednesday afternoon, former Ole Miss football head coach David Cutcliffe resigned from his coaching post at Notre Dame due to health concerns just months after undergoing triple bypass heart surgery. \nCutcliffe, 50, was hired on Jan. 4, just weeks after being fired from Ole Miss. Then on March 9, while in Oxford, Miss., he underwent the procedure. \nIn accordance with his medical leave from Notre Dame in early March, he cited poor health for his stepping down despite feeling better after the surgery. \n"I'm happy to say that I am on the mend and, in fact, that I am healthier since my bypass surgery than I've been in years," Cutcliffe said in a statement. "However, it will be months before I can claim that mental, physical and emotional intensity and would never give any program less than the passion and energy it deserves."

Rainbows place 7 on all-conference team\nHONOLULU - The University of Hawaii baseball team placed a league-leading seven athletes on the 2005 All-Western Athletic Conference teams, which were announced on Monday. \nRainbow second baseman Isaac Omura, outfielder Matt Inouye and pitcher Stephen Bryant were named to the All-WAC first team, while teammates Esteban Lopez, Joe Spiers, Nate Thurber and Darrell Fisherbaugh made the second team. \nOmura led the Rainbows with a .369 batting average, 47 runs batted, 19 doubles and six home runs. Inouye batted .255 with 13 doubles, three home runs, 24 RBIs and 29 runs. As the staff ace for most of the season, Bryant maintained a 3.17 earned run average, finishing the season with an 8-3 record. The senior was a four-time WAC Pitcher of the Week honoree.