Hoosiers peaking in time for Big Tens

Men ready to challenge for the conference crown

The men's track team will take its talents to Ohio State this weekend to compete against the conference's best at the Big Ten Outdoor Track and Field Championships Friday through Sunday at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium in Columbus, Ohio. \nIU has solid threats in every category and looks to improve on last year's overall 4th place finish. \nAarik Wilson, who took both the long jump and the triple jump at the 2005 NCAA Indoor Championships, will lead IU. Last year, Wilson was runner-up in triple jump title at the 2004 Outdoor Championships. This year, Wilson has stepped up his long jumping and ranks first in the conference. After taking both titles at the Big Ten Indoor Championships, Wilson could be in position to repeat his indoor feat in the outdoor events despite a slightly sore hamstring.\nIn the sprinting events, IU boasts the conference's best sprinter in sophomore All-American David Neville. Neville has come into top form at the right time in the season, posting his best 200 meter time last weekend. Neville was a surprise winner in the 200 and 400 meters in 2004, defeating a Minnesota duo of Mitch Potter and Adam Steele that finished first and third at the NCAA Championships in 2003. \nBecause of his performance during 2004, Wilson feels he is a marked man, he said. \n"I am definitely ready to defend my titles this weekend," Neville said. "I think it's a great opportunity to show the type of training that I've been doing and I think that both of the races will be equally difficult to win again, but I'll do my best."\nPerhaps the meet's most anticipated event is the 1,500 meters, where twin All-Americans Sean and John Jefferson will once again duel with Michigan's Nick Willis, a 2004 Olympian from New Zealand. The runners have traded off major titles in recent years. In 2003, John won the indoor mile while Willis took the 1,500. In 2004, Willis took the Big Ten mile, while Sean won the NCAA mile and then the Big Ten 1,500. This year, Sean nipped Willis at the line in the Big Ten indoor mile, but Willis took home the NCAA title just ahead of him, while John finished seventh. \n"The Big Ten is just so tough in the 1,500," said junior Eric Redman who ran the 1,500 meters 3 minutes and 47 seconds, equalling to 4 minute and 4 second in the mile. "I could run the best race of my life and finish sixth."\nThe other distance races are also highly anticipated, as they feature numerous All-Americans from Wisconsin, Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio State and IU. Among the races to watch include the 5,000 meters and 10,000 meters, in which junior All-American Stephen Haas will race for the Hoosiers. \n"I don't even know what I'm going to run specifically yet," said Haas, who scored in the event in the 10,000 in 2003. "Depending on how I feel, we'll decide come this weekend." \nJunior Ryan Ketchum, the current Big Ten leader in the discus, will attempt to bring an individual title back to Bloomington. \nThe final event of the meet, however, could be the most exciting. The 4 X 400 meter relay can often be crucial in determining the final team standings. For the first time in years, in part to freshman Doug Dayhoff. \nNeville feels confidence is high for the team going into the race, he said.\n"Right now we're number one in the conference," said Neville. "I believe we can beat anyone."\nUpdated results will be provided throughout the weekend on the Web site www.iuhoosiers.com.