Team loses close battle in Big Ten preparation

While most of the campus was joining together for Little 500 revelry, Hoosier rowers entered battle to the slow beat of a Viking march, undaunted and without faltering. \nIU's second Varsity 8 overpowered No. 19 Minnesota 7:30.5-7:33.9 for the first Big Ten win in their category. The Varsity 8 gave No. 4 Ohio State, the regatta host, a respectable fight. \nIU assistant coach Carmen Mirochna said the second Varsity 8 crew looked strong the entire course. \n"From the word 'go' they controlled and dominated the race by at least a seat or two," Mirochna said.\nA revised lineup did not concern the crew when it got on the line next to Minnesota. Sophomore bow Courtney Valerious said they finally "had control of things" and were united behind their starboard stroke. \n"I had total confidence (in the lineup)," Valerious said. "(Laura) Stebbins at stroke is amazing. Her experience and her confidence up there is exactly what we need." \nFour IU crews faced the Golden Gophers and Ohio State at the Buckeyes' home venue at Griggs Reservoir on the Scioto River in Columbus Saturday. \nThe Varsity 4 fell to Minnesota, 8:16.6-8:39.2, while finishing behind Ohio State, 8:17.8-8:45.1. The Novice 8 crossed the line in third behind Minnesota and Ohio State in their two races. The second Varsity 8 improved its time against Ohio State but could not keep pace with the Buckeyes' winning boat, losing 7:12.7-7:29.9.\nBouncing back from a morning loss to Minnesota, IU's Varsity 8 threatened No. 4 Ohio State, but the vigorous charge fell short. \nBesides going against a top-tier opponent, IU had one of those "little annoyances" teams hope not to be bothered with before a race: its new Vespoli boat arrived without the proper rigging. Peterson said the rigging did not cause the loss.\nThinking they were a long shot, Peterson said IU rowers decided to "just go after (Ohio State) and see what happens." They stayed with the Buckeyes longer than expected. \n"Through the halfway point they were still in contact with (Ohio State)," Peterson said. "It wasn't like they were blown out of the water. This was the No. 4 team in the country. The first 1,000 (meters) was probably the best 1,000 this crew has ever done." \nAlways ready to contend for the cream and crimson, IU rowers are feeling brawny at the close of regular-season competition and eager for the conference championship at home on Lake Lemon April 29.\n"It's good we finished with that kind of note," Peterson said. "OK, we can do something and start preparing for Big Tens."\n-- Contact Staff Writer Bill \nMeehan at wmeehan@indiana.edu.