Pop star Spears' prego pandemonium

People Reba McEntire

Britney Spears has done it all -- sold millions of records, traveled across the world and back, gotten married (twice) and kissed Madonna. But as the pop princess has said in tabloid rags she hasn't done the one thing that will put her close to God and give her what every little girl dreams of -- have a baby. Well thank the Lord above, Brit and her hubby of almost nine months, Kevin Federline, have been blessed with a bun in the oven. According to what Britney has been saying to the media she's now at the perfect age to be a mommy.\n"I want to be a young mom," she told People magazine in 2004. "Next year, at 23, I'm so there."\nAnd now it seems she is "so there." After announcing on her official web site on April 12 that she is with child it seemed it was the time to come clean after hiding her expanding waistline all over Los Angeles. At first US Weekly speculated that she just couldn't keep the pounds off, but maybe she was just eating for two?\nPeople and US Weekly both showed photo after photo of Britney covering her stomach (but let's be honest, every girl in a bathing suit does that from time to time, you don't have to be preggers to be a little self conscious of your tummy). Then People plastered a few more shots of Brit walking around the hotel she's staying at with Federline with what appeared to be a tummy bulge. No one could figure out if it was extra weight or a baby until Brit, who loves the media question blitz despite what she says, announced she was expecting. \nThe real question here isn't whether Britney will put on a few extra pounds over the next nine months -- which is sure to happen while she's out of work and loading up on her favorite snacks of extra large Starbucks drinks (remember to make it caffeine-free while you're pregnant Britney!), McDonald's fries and Cheetos. \nThe question remains to whether Mrs. Federline is really ready for the responsibility of having a baby of her own. Let's face it; I'm sure she's fine with having babies when she can have them for the weekend or when there's always the option of giving them back to their rightful owner, aka Kevin's kids from his previous relationship with actress Shar Jackson. It's like babysitting -- I love taking care of my cousins Maggie and Will, but after about three hours of household bliss their screaming, tantrums and cleaning up poo is only so cute. \nKevin's darlings -- daughter Kori, 2, and son Kaleb, 9 months -- have become Britney's stand-in children over the last months, especially Kori. She's been seen buying Kori little dresses and swimming with her in the pool of the hotel they have been staying in while her and Kevin's mansion is being renovated. But does swimming and buying a kid clothes really make someone a good mother? And does all this excitement about having another little one running around really make Britney super-mom? To Britney's cousin, evidentially this does. \n"She talks about Kori nonstop, and every time I see her she always has new pictures to show me. She's always loved children," Laura Lynne Covington said to People. \nTo me, I say no. If you think about who Britney Spears is and what she's done in the past this is just another fad she's decided to adopt -- one that I'm sure she's going to get sick of real quick. The problem with pregnancy -- just like her tattoos -- is this isn't something she can get rid of in 55 hours like her quickie marriage to high school chum Jason Alexander in Vegas. \nThe most recent Britney fad I'm still baffled by is Britney's idea of a summer job. First off, does the girl really need one? Anyway, just before she announced her pregnancy, Britney and Kevin showed up at her dad's restaurant in Venice Beach, Calif., called JJ Chill where Britney announced she was planning to work for the summer. Is it just me or does it seem odd that Spears would need to blend smoothies and slop chili for tips? Another Britney fad that came and went in moments. \nWhile I have to admit I'm like most girls -- while I'm in the grocery store checkout any cover of a magazine with Britney on it will catch my eye, whether trash or true. But what I sometimes love about Britney is her ability to make me laugh with her ridiculous larger than life stunts. She always reminds me that although she's two months older than me I'll probably always be a little more mature. \nBut Britney's pregnant with a real baby and no matter how you look at it, it's still pretty insane. I was fine with her being married, I thought for sure she would be divorced before the year was up and now I'm glad I didn't put money on it. But a baby? Not only is it crazy, but I don't think I've even stopped to think about the fact that a smaller version of Britney and Kevin put together will be running around someday. It's an ever scarier concept than her 55-hour marriage, summer job or Madonna kiss put together.