'Naughty by Nature' to play at Zeta Beta Tau this weekend

Old-school rap group to perform at fraternity Friday

Who's down with O.P.P.? ZBT.\nBypassing the new-school, young rap stars of today, Zeta Beta Tau fraternity will play host to old-school rap nostalgia with a Naughty By Nature concert Friday in its parking lot on North Jordan Avenue.\nThis year will be the third time in four years ZBT has held a Little 500 concert. Last year Bone Thugs-n-Harmony performed, and in 2002 Fabolous graced the stage. \nThe doors open at 6 p.m. Friday, said Brian Nessel, ZBT member and concert coordinator. But the group won't take the stage until 8:30 p.m. at the latest and will be preceded by DJ Spitz from New York. Tickets are $15 in advance, and could possibly be raised to $20 at the door, with all proceeds benefiting the Riley Hospital for Children, he said.\n"As I see it, it's the night before the race," Nessel said. "The cops are out everywhere. It's a good alternative for kids who are underage, and not even that, just to come out and have fun, listen to live music and have fun with their friends."\nBest known for their 1991 hit "O.P.P.," Naughty By Nature was formed in 1986 with MCs Treach, Vinnie and DJ Kay Gee, all of whom will make the trip to Bloomington. \nAccording to www.allmusic.com, Kay Gee split from the group in 2002 to pursue other career options, but Treach and Vinnie came out with their latest album, "Iicons," in early 2002. But the most recent compilation of all three original members dropped in 1999 with "Nineteen Naughty Nine: Nature's Fury." \nZBT President Jeff Spector said the draw of Naughty By Nature is the band's age.\n"We feel that the more old-school-type rap artists have a bigger draw than the new school," he said. "They're proven and not just a one-hit wonder."\nZBT chose the group over the likes of Coolio and Boyz II Men because of the guarantee of a solid show by Naughty By Nature, Nessel said.\n"The reason why we chose (Naughty By Nature) is because they are a well-established group, been around for a while, and they put on a killer show. And they play for over an hour," he said.\nAbout 2,000 people are expected at the concert, but about 600 tickets have been sold, Nessel said. The task of preparing for a concert isn't easy, but ZBT has experience coordinating past events.\nSpector said this year's performance will top previous ZBT Little 500 shows.\n"I think this show will be just as good, if not better, than the other ones," Spector said. "I think that so far from the ticket sales that I've heard of, it will just be as good, if not better."\nFor sophomore Lyndsey Tollifson, going to the concert will be more for social purposes than for the music. But she said she does know a few of their songs.\n"I guess it's more of a social event rather than go see the group perform," she said. "It's just to be a part of the events of the Little 5."\nComing to the show for reasons other than the music is fine with ZBT. Nessel and Spector said it will be a safe alternative to the temptations of Little 500 week, and they will try to keep students out of trouble with the law. But on top of that, it's benefiting a good cause.\n"It's not for profit. It's for charity," Spector said. "It just shows that we want to do something for someone other than ourselves and show students a good time."\n-- Contact Staff Writer Josh Weinfuss at jweinfus@indiana.edu.