Hoosiers face Dayton Flyers to benefit Urban Soccer League

Redshirt freshmen proving themselves in spring exhibitions

The men's soccer team continues its spring campaign as the Hoosiers take on the Dayton Flyers as a part of a fund-raiser for the Urban Soccer League at 8 p.m. tonight at Kuntz Stadium in Indianapolis.\nThe Hoosiers continued their winning ways Wednesday night as Indiana defeated the Butler Bulldogs 5-1 at North Central High School in Indianapolis. It was a happy homecoming for Hoosier freshmen Chris Munroe, Greg Stevning and Charley Traylor, who played in front of their hometown in the winning effort. \nJunior Josh Tudela opened the scoring for the Hoosiers less than six minutes into the game from a pass from fellow junior John Michael Hayden. A second Hayden to Tudela connection gave the Hoosiers a 2-0 advantage going into halftime. The lead heading into the second half allowed some of the future Hoosiers a chance at playing time. IU scored three goals in the second half from all from redshirt freshmen -- Kevin Noschang, Erek Kozlowski and Doug Reisinger. \nThe team takes a 4-0 record into tonight's game with the Flyers, outscoring its opponents 12-1 during the spring season. After struggling offensively during the first three games of the spring, the Hoosiers finally broke out of their defensive shell against the Bulldogs. The five goals scored by the Hoosiers against Butler almost matched the goal total of the spring season so far. \n"The defense is our first goal," said IU coach Mike Freitag. "However, we don't want to defend the entire game."\nDayton comes into tonight's game under the reign of new coach Dennis Currier looking to build on an 11-7-1 record during the fall season. The team is full of young players looking to jumpstart the fall campaign with a victory over the Hoosiers.\n"We are looking forward to the game with Dayton," Freitag said. "They've had success in the recent years and will look to continue the success with their new coach."\nThe Hoosiers are looking to replace important pieces of back-to-back national championship teams. Noschang tallied his fifth goal in four spring games for the Hoosiers.\n"We've done really well since we've lost some key players," Traylor said. "We've had some younger guys step up."\nAfter tonight's game against the Flyers, the Hoosiers will finish their spring schedule with a friendly match against the Mexican Youth National team. The game will be co-hosted by the Indiana Youth Soccer Association to benefit Latino soccer programs around the state. The game will be played Tuesday night at Bill Armstrong Stadium.\n-- Contact staff writer Chris Engel at ccengel@indiana.edu.