Aesop 'rocks' the Bluebird

Indie hip-hop lyricist Aesop Rock (Ian Bavitz) brought his eclectic, urban vibe to the Bluebird's stage last Friday and his energy ran through the entire crowd of more than 400. Heads, hands and hips were moving to the Aesop rhythm. Appearing with Aesop Rock was Mr. Lif, another Definitive Jux Records artist. \n"What's a troop's recipe for treacherous times? I tell 'em fast cars, danger, fire and knives ... " raps Aesop on his new EP that was released this February. \nAesop's unique rhymes demand a good ear. His lyrics are crafted around social issues with a message. Focusing on the contradictions of the modern world in New York City, Aesop arrays his perceptions in each track. The newly released EP Fast Cars, Danger, Fire and Knives exemplifies his confidence in voicing statements through music. \nOne track 7 of Fast Cars, Aesop raps, "It's tough to legislate when scum tongue down a dinner plate of booze, coke, heroine ... I bite the hand that feeds, chew the steak and spit the knuckles back. Stitch him up and give him dap before his brothers rubberneck..." Definitive Jux Records describes the song as a "prescription for mad urban survival and unity." \nMr. Lif added his hailed lyrical talent to the show. Identifiable by his thick dreads, Mr. Lif has toured with the likes of Eminem, Busta Rhymes, the Roots and many others. Friday, Mr. Lif just added to the flavor of Aesop's already spirited and driving sound.\nIntensified by the addictive beats and vivacious language, the large crowd at the Bluebird could not be disappointed. Hangar 18 primed the audience for Aesop's captivating performance. The trio of Alaska, Windnbreeze and paWL, infectiously draw a crowd with their fusion of rock and hip-hop -- oh, and curse words. Also from the NYC underground, Hangar 18 combines hip-hop and rap in an entertaining flow that gets the crowd moving.\nTalent is one thing that Definitive Jux Records knows. Friday's performance proved this true through the personable, interactive, blood-pumping electricity of the artists.