RecSports crown amateur champs

The amateur version of "March Madness" officially began this week as the intramural basketball championships took place Monday and Tuesday at Assembly Hall. After three regular season games and several rounds of tournament play, 16 teams competed for the right to be called RecSports champions in eight different divisions. (Editor's note: The Indiana Daily Student was unable to report on men's and women's division I intramural championships at press time Tuesday.)

Men's Division III\nThe men's division III championship saw Free Kobe take on The Beard Lounge. The game started slow as both teams struggled shooting the ball. A late rally by Free Kobe gave them an 18-16 lead at the half. The pace picked up in the first 10 minutes of the second half as the two teams went back and forth, matching each other basket for basket. The pace slowed again, with the teams becoming more defense-minded as the clock ticked down. Turnovers and forced shots by Free Kobe lead to a 19-7 run in the last six minutes by The Beard Lounge, which took home the championship 47-38. The Beard Lounge, whose name comes from their captain's fascination with facial hair, went from 0-4 last year to champions this season.\n"This is without a doubt the greatest worst-to-first stories of all time," said senior Beard Lounge team member Mike Schmechbier.

Women's Division II\nWomen's Optometry came into the championship game trying to win their second intramural championship of the spring semester after they won the women's kickball championship last week. Waiting for them in the championship game was Collective Action, the women's division II runner up from last year. Collective Action came firing out of the gates with a 10-3 run in the first three minutes of the game. The game settled down into a defensive battle with neither team able to make a run. \nAt the half, Collective Action led 22-15. Play was sloppy in the second half as both teams missed opportunities for easy baskets. Women's Optometry had an opportunity to tie the game with one minute remaining in the game. A wide open 3-point attempt rimmed out, ending the chance for a second RecSports Championship in as many weeks. Collective Action closed out the game from the foul line and won 33-29.\n"After last year, this is totally worth it," said graduate student Emily Bowman of her team's victory.

Co-Ed Division II\nMonday's final game featured Delta Gamma and Christian Student Fellowship vying for the co-ed division II championship. Both teams had large fan sections that gave the game added emotion. From the beginning, the game was close and competitive as there were several lead changes in the first half. CSF opened up a five-point margin, but a Delta Gamma shot to beat the first-half horn cut the CSF lead to 20-17 at the half. \nDelta Gamma started the second half with a pressure defense that shut down the CSF offense but were unable to capitalize on forced turnovers and continued to trail with nine minutes remaining. Every Delta Gamma run during the last nine minutes of the game was matched by CSF by pounding the ball inside and making some key 3-pointers. Desperate attempts at 3-pointers were unable to bring Delta Gamma back into the game. CSF sealed the victory from the free-throw line, winning 41-38.

Men's Division II\nThe first game of the second night saw Artest's Army face off against Chicks Over 160. Artest's Army started by nailing anything its players threw up from the field and quickly built an 11-point lead within the first 10 minutes of the game. Chicks Over 160 made two runs to cut the lead down, but each time Artest's Army would run their lead to double digits. \nArtest's Army seemed to have the game under control as they headed into halftime with a 31-19 advantage. Chicks Over 160 came out in the first five minutes of the second half on a 10-1 run. Chicks Over 160 took their first lead of the game courtesy of a 3-pointer with nine minutes left. They extended their lead to five points with less than two minutes remaining in the game. A quick layup and a 3-pointer by Artest's Army tied the game with 30 seconds remaining. \nChicks Over 160 took the lead with 20 seconds when a runner in the lane was banked home for two. With three seconds left, Artest's Army's desperation three fell short as Chicks Over 160 took the championship by the score of 45-43.\n"Coming back like that in the second half was amazing," said junior Glenn Hein. "It was a really cool way to win the championship."

Co-Ed Division I\nThe Law Dogs and Broken Ankles met in the championship game of Co-Ed Division I in the second game of Tuesday night. Both teams came out cold as only six combined points were scored in the first five minutes of the game. The Law Dogs pulled away with some three pointers to take a 21-18 lead into halftime. \nThe second half again started slowly until a 7-0 run in two minutes gave Broken Ankles the lead for the first time since early into the game. The Law Dogs answered with a 3-pointer to tie the game up with 11 minutes left in the game. The teams went almost seven minutes without scoring until Broken Ankles scored at the four-minute mark to gain the lead, a lead they would not relinquish. Broken Ankles went on a 7-1 run during the last four minutes to win the game 42-36.\n-- Contact Staff Writer Chris Engel at ccengel@indiana.edu.