Dubuque siezes IU's first NCAA wrestling title in 15 years

The Hoosiers began the season unheralded and unranked. But they didn't finish it that way.\nWrestling in St. Louis during the weekend, junior Joe Dubuque was crowned the NCAA 125-pound champion, capping one of the greatest seasons in IU history. Dubuque became the first grappler to appear in a title match since Roger Chandler in 1997, and the first to win since Brian Dolph in 1990. As a team, the Hoosiers finished in ninth place with 58.5 points. It was their best finish in 15 years, and only the second top-10 finish for the University since 1953. \nIn addition to Dubuque, senior Pat DeGain rolled through the competition to pick up a third-place finish. The heavyweight's only setback was to Oklahoma State's Steve Mocco, the eventual champion. \nRedshirt freshman Brandon Becker also garnered All-American status by placing fifth. He rebounded from a loss in the first round of the tournament and won his next five, including a defeat of top-seeded and two-time All-American Alex Tirapelle of Illinois. The top eight wrestlers in each weight division are conferred All-American status.\nDubuque was back in fine form after suffering a pair of defeats at the end of the season, going undefeated in St. Louis. His wins included a 3-1 decision over top-seeded Sam Hazewinkel of Oklahoma in the semifinals. In the finals against Kyle Ott, the shaggy-maned Dubuque revenged two previous losses against his nemesis from Illinois by winning a close one, 2-0. Dubuque finished the year 29-3 and added his second consecutive All-American finish to go with the NCAA title on his mantle.\n"It was probably one of the most emotional things I've ever been through," DeGain said of watching his roommate win in the final. "You can't be more proud of someone after watching someone bust their butt for so many years." \nDeGain started the tournament by winning his first three matches. By defeating fifth-seed Greg Wagner of Michigan, whom he had pinned in the Big Ten Championships, DeGain guaranteed himself a spot in the top eight to garner his first All-American honor. The win also meant he would be pitted against Mocco in the semifinals. Before leaving for St. Louis, DeGain had said he would like to wrestle the top heavyweight in the country. \n"He's been the top dog," DeGain said, "and you always want to set your target high."\nMocco came out on top, but DeGain blitzed his final two opponents, including a rematch with Wagner, to pick up third place.\n"He's worked hard for it," said IU coach Duane Goldman. "Deciding to put him up to heavyweight was a big decision. It proved to be the right thing to do, and he was definitely deserving of his finish."\nGoldman was extremely proud of the way his charges conducted themselves and the way they finished their season.\n"They were crowd favorites at their weights because they wrestled hard and represented IU well with their intensity," he said. "They didn't take a backseat to anybody." \n-- Contact Staff Writer Andrew Petersen at andpeter@indiana.edu.