Davis addresses rumors surrounding uncertain future

No one was surprised when the topic came up.\nAfter Wednesday night's 67-60 loss to Vanderbilt in the first round of the National Invitation Tournament, IU coach Mike Davis addressed the media with a glum look on his face, knowing his Hoosiers won't have a chance to play in Madison Square Garden for the NIT title -- what could have been a reviving end to a rollercoaster season. \nBut it was on question No. 4 that the flood gates opened.\n'What is the time table…'\nThe question wasn't finished before Davis answered.\n"The only people that talk about my future are you guys," Davis said to the media.\nAfter finishing 15-14 (29-29 during the last two seasons) and not making the NCAA Tournament for the second consecutive year, the grumble coming from the Hoosier Faithful has peaked. \nBut Davis' future is still in the balance -- and will be this week. \nDavis meets with IU Athletics Director Rick Greenspan every Tuesday to just talk -- and this week will be no different, Davis said Wednesday night. \nGreenspan has been sticking to his story all season long, saying that every game is an interview for Davis. \nThe pair will sit down sometime in the near future to discuss Davis' "body of work," which consists of the entire season.\nWith rumors circulating about Davis' future, Fred Eichhorn, president of the IU board of trustees, said there has not been a meeting scheduled with Greenspan for today or this week.\nEichorn said personally, he likes Davis a lot, and will wait for the administrative review to determine the coach's fate.\n"I think his team improved," Eichorn said. "I think his prospects for next year are much greater. When I talk about the team, I talk about him being the head coach and his recruits."\nAfter starting out rocky with a six-game losing streak, the Hoosiers turned around what could have been an explosive season, going undefeated at home in Big Ten play, and finishing fourth in the conference. Many thought after the regular season ended, Davis' job was secure for at least another year. But after losing to Minnesota in their first game of the Big Ten Tournament, and then losing to Vanderbilt in the first round of the NIT at home, Davis' future is in question again.\n"My job is day-to-day," Davis said Wednesday.\nAfter Wednesday's loss, one peeved fan yelled from his East Main seats, "Do the right thing Greenspan."\nIf Davis remains coach of IU beyond July 1, he will get a $300,000 bonus. If Davis resigns before July 1, he will have to pay IU $250,000. \nIf Davis were to be terminated by IU, the University would have to pay Davis $225,000 -- his base salary -- for every year remaining on his contract. \nBut all the talk Wednesday wasn't just about Davis.\nProspects of jumping to the NBA loomed over junior Bracey Wright last year, but an early season back injury curtailed any possible plans of leaving, this injury-free year put the NBA back into the limelight. \n"Right now, we're not talking about that stuff," Wright said in response to a question about whether or not he will return.\nWhen asked specifically about him leaving IU, Wright didn't say much.\n"I ain't answering that," he said.\nDavis told ESPN's Andy Katz Thursday morning that he expects Wright to declare for the NBA Draft, but that doesn't mean he can't return to IU.\nNCAA rules would allow Wright to enter the draft without signing with an agent, and if he is not drafted he can return to IU within 30 days. \nIn response to being asked so much about whether or not Wright will be at IU next year, Davis shot back.\n"We face so many questions about when the guys play well, are they coming out? It's unbelievable," he said. "Bracey is a good player for us. And I think he would be better next year, when we have a guy like Marco Killingsworth, somebody that can play and do some things."\n-- Contact Staff Writer Josh Weinfuss at jweinfus@indiana.edu.