2 IU athletes hospitalized after accident

Jamey Chapman, James Bailey seriously injured after dump truck collides with SUV Thursday

Three people, including two IU athletes, were injured in a car accident when a dump truck collided with a sport utility vehicle at 2:30 p.m. Thursday on Indiana State Road 45. \nThe accident involved Jamey Chapman, a sophomore forward on the women's basketball team, and James Bailey, a redshirt freshman wide receiver on the football team. Both are still receiving care at Bloomington Hospital.\nAccording to a hospital representative, Chapman is in critical condition and Bailey is in stable condition. A time table for the release is uncertain, and no further information could be released. Director of Athletic Media Relations Pete Rhoda could not add any further details.\nThe other person involved, Clarence Hamm, was treated and released Thursday evening.\nAccording to police reports, the accident occurred as Bailey and Chapman were pulling out of a private driveway onto IN-45 heading west. Chapman's white Chevrolet Blazer was struck by a dump truck carrying 20 tons of gravel heading east on Tenth Street. The truck, driven by Hamm, collided into the SUV, causing it to go into a ravine.\nThe case is still under investigation, and the driver of the SUV is still undetermined. The police report also noted that none of the three people involved in the wreck were wearing their seatbelts.\nThe accident caused traffic delays, closing off Tenth Street between Grandview Drive and Smith Road for nine hours, according to reports. The road was closed for so long because an accident reconstructionist was working on the scene and was trying to remove the vehicles from the ravine.\nChapman, an Omaha, Neb., native was a reserve forward, but came on strong toward the end of the season after missing the first 13 games of the season due to a hip injury.\nBailey was expected to be big contributor to the Hoosier offense this spring after red-shirting this past fall.\n-- Contact Staff Writer Dan Click at daaclick@indiana.edu.