Recipe for home court advantage

To create the perfect homecourt advantage, the recipe calls for equal parts motivated team, large loud crowd and hated opponent.\nFor the women's basketball team, many of the ingredients are in place Sunday to put the pieces together, which has eluded the team for much of the season.\nOne motivated team -- check. \nThis is a team that started the season on a sour note as star Jenny DeMuth was lost with a torn ACL. Despite the lack of their starter, a stifling defense has kept the Hoosiers competitive throughout much of the season while facing eight ranked opponents. \nHated opponent -- check. \nThe opponent isn't just hated; it's the most despised of all the opponents any IU team will face. It's the same neighbor to the north in Tippecanoe County that thrashed the Hoosiers this fall in football -- Purdue.\nLarge loud crowd -- ? \nThis is the only part of the recipe that isn't usually available. The team would like to change that, though, at least for one night.\nIn an effort to get more fans to the games, IU will hold its third annual "Pack the Hall Day." \nThe goal: 10,000 fans. If attendance reaches this number, the reward is $10,000 for breast cancer research donated by Vera Bradley Designs to the IU Cancer Center in Indianapolis.\nSo, in addition to the first two ingredients, there is an extra incentive.\nAnd in case you don't know the W's of this game: 2 p.m. Sunday and free for students.\nDrawing 10,000 fans may seem like a daunting task considering the numbers 614, 844 and 879. No, those weren't the Pick 3 lotto numbers from the past few days -- those were attendance numbers from three games this season in an arena that seats 17,456.\nIt is debatable how much of an advantage there is when the hall is less than 15 percent full, but what isn't under debate is how much different a home team can be when it has a large and rowdy fan base behind it.\nDespite averaging only 1,211 fans a game, the Hoosiers are sporting a healthy 7-3 record at home. Away from Bloomington, the record is less impressive with an anemic 3-10. Even though the numbers haven't been overly impressive in home games, the loyal fans who show up to the games have made a difference.\nTo see the importance of a home-court advantage in another sport, look no further than the national champion men's soccer team. Granted, six national championships will bring even the most casual soccer fan out, but the team consistently draws large numbers to Bill Armstrong Stadium. \nThere are numerous teams that want the home advantage and nothing more than to pump their fist at you and give props for the applause and support you gave them. \nAlthough the advantage stemming from special events is good, it shouldn't take special days to draw the crowds out to create a home court advantage. Being a Hoosier doesn't mean just cheering for the men's basketball team or football team; it means all teams, and the first way to start is to get out and cheer for them at home.\nThe oven is preheating and will be ready for baking Sunday.\nMaking your own home court advantage is easy and can be done anytime. The dry ingredients are already there. The only thing left is the binding agent -- you and your friends.