Star running back leaving IU football

BenJarvus Green-Ellis enrolled at University of Mississippi

After leading IU in the backfield the past two seasons, sophomore running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis has decided to transfer.\nThough the University of Mississippi registrar currently lists Green-Ellis as an enrolled student, he said he is still mulling over his options. He has until Jan. 31 to decide.\n"(Transferring) was one of the hardest decisions I have had to make," Green-Ellis said. "I dedicated my blood, sweat and tears. It was very tough, so much of my heart was tied to (IU)."\nGetting back to the south was a high priority for the New Orleans native after spending the past two years more than 800 miles away from home.\n"I wanted to be closer to home, that was the main thing," he said. "It was something that I had been looking at for a while."\nBecause of NCAA rules Green-Ellis will be forced to sit out the 2005 season, and will be eligible to suit up in 2006.\nThe transfer of Green-Ellis comes a little more than one month after football coach Terry Hoeppner arrived in Bloomington.\n"BenJarvus came to me and said that he would like to pursue some other opportunities closer to home," Hoeppner said. "He has been a solid contributor here the last two years, and we wish him the best."\nGreen-Ellis led the Hoosiers in rushing last year with 794 yards and five touchdowns and his best game came against the University of Kentucky rushing for 115-yards.\nThe former IU running back started the season in a three-way race for the starting spot, but he quickly earned the job for the remainder of the year.\nComing into his sophomore season, coaches looked for Green-Ellis to be a big part of the offense after a successful ending to his first year.\nDespite not starting until the final three games of his freshman year, Green-Ellis made the most of his opportunity, rushing for 456 yards including 203-yards against Penn State. Green-Ellis had four 100-yard games in 2003 finishing the season with 938 yards and seven touchdowns. \nBefore coming to IU, Green-Ellis starred at St. Augestine High School playing both running back and fullback. Green-Ellis garnered All-District honors from both The Times-Picayune and the Clarion Herald.\nComing out of high school, Florida State University and Louisiana State University were among the suitors for Green-Ellis' services. \n-- Contact Staff Writer Dan Click at daaclick@indiana.edu.