Nelms leads list for TSU presidency

IU unable to speculate on effects of possible departure

Charlie Nelms is in demand.\nThe University's vice president for institutional development and student affairs is the front-runner among six finalists for president of Tennessee State University in Nashville, Tenn. According to information provided by Kamaria Mack, the campus news editor for TSU's student newspaper, The Meter, Nelms gathered more votes than any of the other five finalists from the school's presidential search committee members during a Dec. 1 narrowing process. \nThat vote does not represent an official tally, but does symbolize, while early in the selection process, a casual show of hands to answer the question: Who wants Charlie Nelms as TSU's next president?\nNelms, who has yet to be interviewed for the position, will meet with TSU officials and search committee members Jan. 25, along with the other finalists.\n"I am honored to be one of the people they are talking with and I look forward to the opportunity to speak with the members of the search committee next week," Nelms said.\nThe six-year vice president was scrawled on a short list to become Florida A & M's president in May 2002, but he removed himself from the running days before the board of trustees made a decision. Nelms was also considered the leading candidate for that position. \nNelms, formerly the University's vice president for student development and diversity, has been an active proponent of diversity at IU. \nIU Interim Associate Vice President for Student Development and Diversity Edwardo Rhodes, who has worked closely with Nelms, said though Nelms would be missed if he were to leave, the state of diversity at IU continues to move forward.\n"It would leave a big vacuum," Rhodes said. "But he of course has got to do that which is best for him. With the various programs he set up, he organized in such a way that his departure would not mean these programs will self-destruct."\nIU Media Relations Director Larry MacIntyre agreed that Nelms must tend to his own interests, but said the University would like to retain him.\n"We recognize that Charlie has a lot of talents and abilities that are in demand," MacIntyre said. "And it would not surprise anyone if at some point he gets stolen away from us."\nThe 23-member search committee to find a chancellor for IU-Bloomington currently includes Nelms, but MacIntyre said it is too early to speculate on how Nelms' departure might affect IU's search process. He added that the University is in "wait-and-see mode."\nThe other five finalists for the post include Melvin N. Johnson of Winston-Salem State University; A. Toy Caldwell--Colbert of Howard University; Cynthia R. McIntyre of Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Handy Williamson, Jr., of the University of Missouri-Columbia; and David Wilson of Auburn University.\nThe search committee consists of members of TSU's board of regents, several Nashville community representatives and TSU faculty, staff, students, alumni and administrators. \nNelms' interview, along with those of the other finalists, will be simulcast and archived on TSU's presidential search Web site, tsusearch.tbr.state.tn.us.\nMacIntyre said the University understands that a high-demand administrator and teacher like Nelms is a precious commodity.\n"President Herbert's aware that some universities have looked at Charlie as a candidate," MacIntyre said. "When you've got somebody who's that talented, that comes with it."\n-- Contact Senior Writer Rick Newkirk at renewkir@indiana.edu.