Furry boots, wellies on campus

I know I have barked about picking up fashion trends the masses have adopted, but I have to confess I bought a pair of furry boots and I love them. \nI had to buy them; I couldn't help it. I remember the day I saw my boots, I was flipping through the November 2004 issue of Instyle and I came across the shoe guide. I flipped through several pages and then saw a page full of boots that fit the suede/furry boot trend many of us see on campus every day. \nAs soon as I saw the "Mary" boot from S. Edelman, I fell in love. It was a unique boot -- all fur with a suede heel and suede straps that wrap around the shaft. When I called customer service, the representative told me where I could find these boots. When I finally bought them I didn't know how to get them on. The laces proved to be a challenge considering they laced around the Velcro opening. I almost ruined them trying to fit my feet into them. I was so excited that I left the huge box in the middle of the living room for the rest of the night, while I walked around the apartment in my new boots. \nOf course, when I returned to school I was elated that no one else was wearing my boots, until the worst thing happened. I was prancing around the newsroom one day when my ex-boyfriend, always the bearer of bad news, said he saw someone with my boots on. Then someone came up to me and said a fellow IDSer had the exact same boots, which she bought in London. I could have died. Not that it is a big deal, but I hate it when someone so close to me is wearing what I am wearing. Not only that, but her boots are cooler because she got them in London. It may sound crazy, but anyone in the fashion crowd knows getting shoes overseas gives it an automatic step up over anything bought in the States, Yes it's silly, but it's the exoticism of it all. \nMy boot woes continued when I saw an arts writer in the Union, and he began talking about how funny all the women on campus look in their furry boots. I quickly showed him my boots, and said, "I like my furry boots. I think they are cute." \nHe wasn't convinced.\n"They look like Eskimo shoes," he said. "All the girls on campus have turned into Eskimos."\nThen, fully equipped with a wooden sword he said, "I am Thor!" \nI burst out laughing at his reference to a heroic comic book character when describing how the women on campus look in their boots -- Vikings aren't the fashion icons we try to replicate.\nAs we sat outside of Sugar & Spice, I watched women passing by wearing everything from UGGs, Steve Maddens, Polo and j.crew boots. And I couldn't help but laugh. Yes, we do all kind of look like Eskimos, but Eskimos with style. \nSome people might think it's too late to invest in a pair of furry boots, but never fear. It is supposed to get very cold soon and they do keep your feet warm. You can by UGGs at laredoute.com, where the sale price is $200, an online exclusive. Among others, furry Edelman boots are sold at Zappos.com. The Polo boots are very beautiful and all fur, but they cost $1,500. You can find a cheaper pair at j.crew for about $250. \nFor the spring, invest in a pair of Wellingtons or rain boots. I can't wait to buy the herringbone wellies at j.crew and wear them with a skirt. Some people do not like the look, but in my opinion both wellies and fur boots look good with A-line skirts and denim mini skirts, which was a hot look among fashion editors and writers at September's Fashion Week. So, women, wear your warm furry boots with a skirt or tight black pants or cuffed jeans and a sweater. And if you can hop on a plane and buy them in London, then so be it.