Hoosier players react to unexpected coaching change

While there are typically five stages of grief, there only seems to be two in the Hoosier locker room after the Gerry DiNardo coaching era passed Monday night -- disbelief and acceptance. \nSenior tackle Jodie Clemons said he was shocked by the firing, but he also understands the decision because of the business aspect of the game. Clemons said the money the team brings in is directly related to the wins and losses, and because DiNardo could only deliver an 8-27 record during his tenure, he was let go. \n"Well, it's a business and while it's unfortunate that it happened, the team just has to move forward," Clemons said. "I was definitely surprised by the decision, but the team has to start a new chapter."\nClemons, who experienced a coaching change firsthand when DiNardo replaced former IU coach Cam Cameron in 2001, said the unknown factor can be especially trying for players; however, he also said comfort can be found in fellow teammates during such uncertain times.\n"It's going to be tough because the guys are going to have to learn a new system, and you're in your comfort zone and that gets broken," Clemons said. "It's really challenging because you never know what's going to happen. At this point, the guys just have to stick together because there's just no telling who they're going to bring in."\nJunior running back Yamar Washington said the change also caught him off-guard because he was told about the decision not by a teammate, coach or IU official, but by his own mother. Still, he remains optimistic about the program despite the change. \n"It was a big shock, my mother called me last night and said that she heard about it from another parent," Washington said. "But it's a chance for us to move on and do something for the program, re-energize and keep moving forward."\nRegardless of the player's reaction to the firing, IU athletics director Rick Greenspan said the change was a necessity to take the Hoosier football program back into the relative prominence it enjoyed during the late 1980s and early '90s. \n"I believe a change in leadership of our football program is needed at this time," Greenspan said. "While there has been some progress made within our program, we live in a highly competitive environment and we need to compete more successfully to achieve many of our goals."\nDiNardo, who inherited a team with few scholarship players, brought the team back into competitive form this season. During the 2004 run, three games were decided by a touchdown or less.\nThis season, IU lost to Illinois, Penn State, Northwestern and Michigan State by a total of 25 points. During the 2003 campaign, the Hoosiers were bested by the same teams by a margin of 76 points, even when the 2003 17-14 win against the Fighting Illini is taken into the equation. \nGreenspan said DiNardo's firing would set an example of what he is looking for in head coaches -- wins. Greenspan also said he would do whatever it takes to create a successful athletics program -- even if at the expense of coaches such as DiNardo. \n"I said early on during my tenure here that I like a sense of urgency," Greenspan said. "We're going to have some urgency. We're going to work aggressively to get ourselves better. We're not going to be capricious, but we're going to be aggressive and we're going to pursue excellence."\n-- Contact staff writer Dan Patrick at djpatric@indiana.edu.