Colts defense steps up, wins 51-24 after Titans' trickery

Titans use 3 onside kicks to try to steal victory

INDIANAPOLIS -- After a bizarre first quarter that saw three onside kicks and 24 points put up by the Tennessee Titans, the Indianapolis Colts' defense dug in and helped pull out a 51-24 victory Sunday in front of 57,278 fans at the RCA Dome.\nThe Titans recovered two of the onside kicks, keeping the Colts' offense off the field, and quarterback Billy Volek threw three touchdowns to Drew Bennett to give Tennessee a 24-17 first quarter lead.\nIndianapolis coach Tony Dungy told his team to expect the unexpected against the undermanned Titans (4-8).\n"It was a tough one, and we knew it would be a tough one," Dungy said. "We talked all week how Tennessee would come up here and play, and so we knew there were going to be some things happening in the game that weren't going to be like a standard game. I thought once we got through the first quarter, we settled down and played better."\nThe turning point came in the second quarter when the Colts' Montae Reagor blocked a Tennessee field goal attempt. Linebacker Rob Morris scooped up the ball and ran it back 68 yards to give the Colts a 31-24 lead they would not relinquish.\n"It took the wind out of them," Reagor said. "They were coming in with some gadgets, onside kick every other kick. They were doing the things they needed to do to win, but we weathered the storm, and we got the job done, and that's all that matters."\nIndianapolis (9-3) got another solid day from quarterback Peyton Manning as he moved closer to history with his 42nd, 43rd, and 44th touchdowns of the year. With four games to go, Manning is just four short of Dan Marino's record of 48 touchdowns in a season set in 1984. Manning finished the day 25 of 33 for 425 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions.\n"Obviously with our speed, we're able to stretch the defense a little bit and create some holes," Manning said. "A number of the plays we ran today were the same plays, we just had good solid route running and were able to find some holes in their zone defense."\nManning threw touchdown passes to Marvin Harrison, Brandon Stokley and Reggie Wayne. Manning has now hooked up with Harrison for 80 touchdowns in their career, ranking the duo second all-time to only Steve Young and Jerry Rice who have 85. Manning has also had multi-touchdown games 12 straight times, tying him with former Baltimore Colt great Johnny Unitas.\nEdgerrin James had a strong day, rushing for 105 yards on 18 carries and two touchdowns, showing once again opposing defenses can't focus on Manning and the passing attack.\n"I don't know statistically what it is, but obviously we have been on a hot streak here," Manning said. "Execution has been sound in November, and that's the idea to keep it going in the month of December and hopefully get in the playoffs. The idea is to always be playing the best football in December and January."\n-- Contact staff writer Tyler V. \nHoeppner at thoeppne@indiana.edu.