What will it take?

Winning. A simple philosophy. It's all IU's storied tradition had known since 1970. However, last year's Hoosier team, buoyed by one star, Bracey Wright, for lack of a better phrase, fell flat on its face. Finishing with a 14-15 record, the Hoosiers failed to make the NCAA tournament for the first time in 18 years, snapping the second longest streak of consecutive appearances in the Big Dance. \nSo what does this year hold in store for the beloved cream and crimson?\nLast year, the Hoosiers failed to hold serve on their home court, losing seven games in Assembly Hall. Seven games! A venue not subjected to such failings, the Hall showcased empty seats Hoosier faithful never would expect. Home losses to some of the worst teams in the Big Ten (i.e. Minnesota, Ohio State and Iowa) as well as home debacles to Missouri and Temple stung more than when I wandered into a wasp's nest covered in honey. \nAnd in the games a loss wasn't entirely unexpected, IU got pasted. Kentucky hammered the Hoosiers by 39 points, Wake Forest by 33 and Vanderbilt handled Mike Davis' crew by 13.\nNow when you lose worse than a democratic referendum in Cuba, it's time to scrap the system, start over and escape to the local Red Cross and beg for an infusion of new blood.\nDavis revamped his coaching staff, saying goodbye to longtime IU assistant John Treloar and welcoming Utah's interim head coach from a year ago, Kerry Rupp and former Florida International head coach Donnie Marsh to his staff. Rupp, whose glowing bald head will undoubtedly draw comparisons to everyone's favorite scum combatant, Mr. Clean, has the task of keeping his new namesake's reputation and clean up the Hoosier mess that is the frontcourt.\nWhen IU's offense is clicking, a Hoosier big man is posting up opponents, drawing double teams with the ability to kick the ball out to the arc for wide open threes. Does anyone remember the Jared Jeffries effect? He would get his 15-20 points, get doubled and find the nearest IU sharpshooter for a wide open three. Like it or not, the Hoosiers offense lives and dies by the three point shot -- it has recently. \nIf the lone Hoosier big man stands at the arc, it creates a clutter and forces IU's shooters to create shots for themselves, something only Wright can do -- but he'd prefer launching the ball from 35-feet away. \nA lot of pressure has been placed on the shoulders of the incoming freshmen. \nBig man D.J. White, a McDonald's All-American, will look to be the Hoosiers' next dominant post presence. Now will he be the next Jeffries or the next William Gladness remains to be seen, but a rotation of White, Sean Kline and an improved Patrick Ewing Jr. provides a glimmer of hope compared to last year's frontcourt quartet of Kline, George Leach, A.J. Moye and Mike Roberts. It's not an exponential leap, I'd equate it to dating Olive Oyl but then in walks Judy Jetson -- an obvious upgrade. \nRobert Vaden should start at small forward, and James Hardy and A.J. Ratliff will add some scoring and explosiveness off the bench, a role Roderick Wilmont was supposed to play last year. Is it too much to ask of 18-year old kids, a group only six months removed from prom? \nOptimism is always high following a transfusion, some time may pass to figure out whether it takes or not. My guess? It takes and the Hoosiers return to the tournament with a fourth place finish in the Big Ten and an overall record of 17-10. 17-10?\nHeck, I think we'll all take that.