Team dominates IUPUI 4-0, reach 14 wins for 18th straight season

The stat books will mark Wednesday night's men's soccer game as senior goalkeeper Jay Nolly's eighth shutout of the season, but the reality is that he barely even needed to show up.\nIU dominated in-state rival IUPUI in every sense of the word, holding the Jaguars without a shot for the entire 90 minutes.\n"I'm there to maybe make one or two saves, but it wasn't there tonight" Nolly said. "But I'm happy to take the shutout."\nNot only did the Hoosier backs shutdown IUPUI defensively, but they made their presence known on the other side of the field, netting three goals. Sophomore Julian Dieterle scored first just four minutes into the game. Junior Drew Moor was second with a goal in the first minute of the second half, and freshman Greg Stevning scored the first goal of his collegiate career in the 77th minute to put IU up 4-0.\n"I don't have a doubt that (our backs) are the best four in the country if we come to play every night," senior back Danny O'Rourke said. "And to have three of the backs step up and get a goal is huge."\nAll four of the Hoosiers' goals came off corner kicks Wednesday night as the team's 16 corner kick attempts were only four away from the all-time record set in 1983. Wednesday's performance brought the team's total to 115 corners on the season, many of which have had similar results -- goals by backs.\n"Restarts are very important," IU coach Mike Freitag said. "Especially when you come to this time of year because you start playing teams that defend better and better during the regular run of play so you hope for the opportunity to have a set play and execute it well. And tonight I thought we executed pretty well."\nSophomore John Michael Hayden continued his hot streak with his sixth goal in seven games to go along with his two assists on the night. Hayden scored when sophomore forward Kevin Robson took a quick corner and hit Hayden at the top corner of the 18-yard box. Hayden then drilled a shot into the lower right corner of the net.\nDieterle and Stevning's goals both came from similar quick corners that caught IUPUI off guard and resulted in goals. But perhaps the prettiest goal of the night came from the lone, successful regular corner attempt.\nHayden drilled a line-drive corner kick to the near-side bar that was flicked up into the air by junior forward Mike Ambersley. The ball came down at the far bar where Moor was lying in wait to head the ball home.\nWith about 15 minutes remaining in the game, and the Hoosiers already up by three, Freitag opened the flood gates and gave the rest of the team a chance to see some playing time in the final regular season game. \n"In practice, everyone works their heart out," senior Greg Badger said. "These guys work their heart out to make the starting team better so it's nice to get them into the game, get them playing time and get them chances to score."\nWednesday night marked senior night where O'Rourke, Nolly and Badger were all honored for their four years spent with the team. Though tournament play still remains, it was the last regular season match for all three players.\n"After four years there are so many memories," O'Rourke said. "I'll probably go home and sit in bed tonight and think about it. It's been a good four years, but it's not over yet."\n-- Contact staff writer Brian Janosch at bjanosch@indiana.edu.