Repeat championship run starts against Michigan

Team hopes to regain momentum that carried IU to last season's title

With Thanksgiving break right around the corner, students are beginning to depart campus for their holiday destinations. IU men's soccer coach Mike Freitag hopes students can wait until after Tuesday night's NCAA Tournament second round game against Michigan to go home. \n"That's one thing I would like to encourage, for students to maybe hold off until after the game before they drive home." Frietag said. "That would help our cause."\nMichigan's defeat of the University of Akron Friday night means IU will face its second straight Big Ten rematch. Michigan was able to defeat Akron 2-1 without the services of senior forward Mychal Turpin, who will be returning to play against the Hoosiers. IU defeated Michigan 2-1 at home earlier this season.\nThe Hoosiers have only played two games in the entire month of November, and one game in the past 19 days. To make matters worse, that game was a loss in the Big Ten tournament to Michigan State, so the team's momentum certainly doesn't compare to last season's nine-game winning streak heading into the NCAA tournament.\n"Once tourney time comes around, all the results from the season don't matter," junior midfielder Jordan Chirico said. "We worked hard to get the No. 2 seed and now we're not focusing on anything that happened during the season. We're just looking to the next game."\nIU had another long week of practice, and tried to stay in game shape despite the extended time off. Finishing, conditioning and even penalty kicks have been focuses for the long week of practices, but the most important element all season has been the scrimmages between IU's first and second teams.\n"I think they are biting at the bit to play somebody else," Freitag said. "This damn second team knows our team inside and out, and gives us games every time -- for two reasons, they know our team and they're a good team. I think they could have made it to the tourney."\nThe team was without sophomore forward Jacob Peterson for several days as he joined the under-20 U.S. national team for a weekend match. But Peterson returned to the team Saturday.\nFor the three seniors on the team, the potential for each remaining game being their last constantly looms, but goalkeeper Jay Nolly and midfielder Danny O'Rourke have both made it a priority to keep their mind off that thought.\n"It's not even on my mind," O'Rourke said. "I don't expect to end my career at Bill Armstrong Stadium, I'd rather end it in sunny California."\nThe defending national champions play host to the Wolverines at 7 p.m. tomorrow night at Bill Armstrong Stadium. Student tickets cost $3 with a valid student ID and adult tickets cost $7. Parking will be available at Gate 12 on the north side of Assembly Hall, because of a coinciding IU basketball game. \n-- Contact staff writer Brian Janosch at bjanosch@indiana.edu.