Bennett hopes experienced roster leads to wins, tourney appearance

Coaching legacy prevalent in family lineage for IU boss

Returning this year for her fifth year at the helm of IU women's basketball is head coach Kathi Bennett. Bennett, in her 17th season as a collegiate head coach, will look to improve on last year's 12-17 record as she returns 11 letter winners from last season.\nDespite a frustrating season last year, Bennett's time at IU has been marked by success. She has compiled a 62-57 overall record, including a 20-win season in 2000 as well as a Big Ten conference tournament championship in 2002.\n"Coaching at IU has been a wonderful experience," Bennett said. "I am so glad to be surrounded by so many hard working players and coaches, and it has been rewarding to be part of this program."\nCoaching success, however, has been no surprise in the Bennett family. Bennett, the daughter of Washington State's head men's basketball coach Dick Bennett and sister of Washington State's assistant coach and former Wisconsin Green-Bay/Charlotte Hornet standout guard Tony Bennett, Kathi is part of a very prominent family in collegiate basketball. \nBennett began her coaching career at Teikyo Marycrest University (Iowa) and amassed an 18-10 record in her first season as head coach of the women's basketball program. Following her short stint at TMU, Bennett moved on to coach the women of the University of Wisconsin-Oshkosh, and led the team to a perfect 31-0 record and a Division III National Championship in 1996. \nAt the University of Evansville, Bennett rejuvenated a program that had produced only nine victories in the three previous seasons. Bennett led Evansville to the 1999 Missouri Valley Conference tournament championship and a berth in the NCAA tournament after only three seasons with the Purple Aces -- both firsts for the program.\nIn 2000, Bennett landed the position in Bloomington as the head coach of the women's squad and helped jump start the program as she guided the Hoosiers to a 20-11 record in 2000 and the Big Ten tournament championship in 2002.\nSenior Jamie Gathing has been along for the ride with Bennett since her first day on the job. Gathing said she is thankful for the opportunity she has been given to play for Bennett and feels she has grown not only as a player but as a person as well.\n"Playing for coach Bennett has been a great learning experience," Gathing said. "She has taught me a lot about the game as well as about life and I am very grateful to play for her."\nJunior guard Cyndi Valentin said she has also been proud to wear the cream and crimson for Bennett, and is looking forward to a successful season.\n"Coach Bennett is awesome," Valentin said. "She always comes out with a lot of energy and helps inspire us to work harder each and every day."\nThe expectations are higher for Bennett and her Hoosiers this season, as IU will field a much more experienced squad this season as four starters will return as well as a total of 11 letter winners from last season.\n"Our expectations are higher this year but we are ready to take on any challenge," Valentin said. "I can't wait to get the season started."\n-- Contact staff writer Matt \nOstrega at mostrega@indiana.edu.