Students finding flair for personal decorating, style at local stores

Bloomington offers many options for affordable room decor

From contemporary clean to classic country, students arrive at their new residences ready to fill the space with personality. \nFor many students, decorating their living space is an opportunity to settle into their surroundings while finding their own personal living style. Empty apartments, houses and dorms become an eclectic mix of flair and comfort. \n"(Decorating is) based in ways to create mood by changing surface materials and (are) often reflective of 'trends,'" said Reed Benhamou, professor and chair of the Department of Apparel Merchandise and Interior Design.\nFor junior Rachel Muhlstein, her room in the new Smallwood Plaza apartment complex was a chance to display her "hippie chic" style. With her walls flanked in music posters and album covers, Muhlstein finds her comfort in music.\n"I like my room to be comforting, and I like to surround myself with music at all times," Muhlstein said. "I cannot sleep in a place unless I feel totally comfortable."\nThe colors in her room are a mix of rich earth tones, and the subtle background compliments pictures of her family and friends.\n"The best part of my room is my father's protest flag from the 1970s," Muhlstein said. "My dad is my hero, and he is my inspiration. Whenever I look at that flag, I know I have the ability to make the world a better place." \nMuhlstein found her '70s-inspired bedspread at Target and her light oak finished furniture at Long's Landing, a new and used furniture store at 5167 Indiana 46.\n"Target is the best place to find furniture, accessories and anything else you need for your room or apartment," Muhlstein said.\nMuhlstein's roommate, junior Mindy Shomberg, added her own personal touches to the kitchen.\n"My mother and I love antiques, and we bought a few accents from a local antique market," Shomberg said. \nAntique baskets and food containers adorned the open windows in the large kitchen that overlooks the living room.\nShomberg's grandfather donated the living room furniture, which included a chocolate brown leather couch, dark wood coffee table and modern corner bookshelf. \nJunior Kara Flatté-Hendel chose a feminine look for her uncluttered room. \n"Pink is so soft and pretty," Flatté-Hendel said. "I used flowers around my bed and mirror as accents because I love the outdoors and these make the perfect decoration."\nHer bedspread is light pink as well.\nFlatté-Hendel's furniture is also from Long's Landing.\n"I like Long's Landing because the furniture is appropriately priced and really nice for a college student's room," Flatté-Hendel said. \nStudents can find affordable looks no matter where they shop. Target has accessories and Greetings has posters, colored glass decor, rice paper balls that hang from ceilings as lamps, clocks and other decorative pieces that tie a room together. Resale shops can sometimes contain great finds as well.\nRegardless of where the decor originates, making sure it fits into an individual's lifestyle is an important step to decorating.\n"The most important thing to keep in mind is that your room is a representation of yourself. Be yourself when you are decorating," Muhlstein said.\n-- Contact staff writer Jaimie Cohen at jrcohen@indiana.edu.