Hoosiers prepare for tougher schedule

Overton, Peters hope strong summer leads to conference success

By its own admission, the IU men's golf team will be facing a much tougher fall schedule in 2004 than the fall schedule in 2003. But the Hoosiers don't seem too worried. \nSept. 11 marks the beginning of the fall season when the Hoosiers tee off in the Michigan-Radrick Farms Intercollegiate Invitational. Other tournaments include the Central Regional Preview at Notre Dame and the Xavier Invitational, both of which will give the Hoosiers a look at some area rivals. \nThe Hoosiers are also preparing for tournaments that will give them a look at other national programs, such as the Adams Cup in Newport, R.I., and the Big Ten/Pac-10 Challenge in Bandon, Ore. \nCoach Mike Mayer said he believes his team is ready to handle a more strenuous schedule.\n"Our schedule this year is a lot tougher than last year," Mayer said. "I feel like our team is capable of handling the schedule we've got for this year -- partly because of what we did last year, partly because of what we did this summer."\nLast year, the Hoosiers finished second in the first tournament of the fall then won the final three, and in the spring, the team never finished lower than 10th. The Hoosiers are hoping for similar results this fall and are counting on senior Jeff Overton to lead the way.\nOverton spearheaded the Hoosier efforts last season, finishing first in all four fall tournaments, and earned the No. 1 ranking in the nation at one point. This summer, Overton continued his success. Among Overton's highlights this summer were winning the Indiana Amateur Championship for the second consecutive year, a second-place finish at the Porter Cup, helping Team U.S.A. defeat Japan in the 2004 Fuji Xerox \nCollegiate Golf Championship and reaching the semifinals of the U.S. Amateur Championship. Overton's leadership at the top of the lineup is just one reason the Hoosiers feel so confident this fall.\n"He leads a lot by example, but if you're out of line, he'll set you straight," senior Mike Birkenfeld said. "He likes to let people figure out for themselves what they're going to do."\nIn addition to Overton, the Hoosiers will be returning every golfer except Ryan Cassidy, who graduated last year. Other Hoosiers with strong summer performances include senior Heath Peters, who finished fourth at the Indiana State Amateur, and junior Brad Marek, who, along with Overton and Peters, advanced to the final two rounds of the Western Amateur.\nThe Hoosiers are hoping that this summer other golfers have developed to provide a stronger lineup behind Overton and Peters, the team's No. 1 and 2 golfers, respectively.\n"We have perhaps one of the best one-two punches in the country," Mayer said. "But we need a three guy. If that happens, we will be scary."\nWith nearly the entire lineup returning, and a strong summer, the Hoosiers seem very confident despite the schedule. \n"Our expectations have to be pretty high," junior Scott Seibert said. "I'm looking forward to having a real good, solid season because I think this is definitely our year."\n-- Contact staff writer Charlie Gillingham at cgilling@indiana.edu.