Emmy winner to film documentary on BPP

Although it is celebrating its 25th year of theater magic, the Bloomington Playwrights Project isn't throwing itself a party or buying itself presents. It isn't wearing a pointed birthday hat or eating cake and ice cream. Instead, the BPP will be the subject of a documentary created by two-time Emmy winner Bob Risher.\nThe BPP board members purchased the documentary package Sept. 12 at its annual board meeting, auction and dinner, which more than 50 BPP friends attended. Thirty stayed for the auction, which raised more than $5,000 to support the BPP and its mission to produce high quality, original plays. \nRisher, a Bloomington local who has been involved with BPP projects in the past, donated his time and equipment to make the documentary to the auction. His donation became the big-ticket item of the evening with a retail value of $3,000. Bidding for the item started at $1,000, and one board member suggested the board band together and each contribute $200 to purchase Risher's generous gift.\n"(We decided), 'Let's buy this, and this way we can use the short to promote the BPP and its 25th Anniversary,'" said Richard Perez, BPP artistic director.\nTheir bids were successful and Risher, who received his Emmys for past work on documentaries, will be shooting the documentary about the BPP's program and history.\n"For the past year or so we had been looking for something to celebrate our 25th anniversary, and at the same time, tell our story," Tom Schafer, board member, said. "The BPP is a name that a lot of people don't know and we wanted to change that."\nAnxious to share the BPP's history with the public, the board had pursued other avenues to create a documentary, but none came to fruition.\n"We had thought about applying for grants or trying community access television," Schafer said. "Now the documentary will share what about us the community might not be aware of."\nAlthough the exact theme of the BPP documentary is uncertain, BPP board members have an idea they would like to pursue.\n"The documentary will document 25 years of BPP history, its shows, its people and the plays produced," Bob Arnove, BPP board president, said. \nThe board hopes to decide on the final plan and begin filming by their next board meeting, Schaefer said. \n"We really have to thank everyone, local businesses and the University for donating items for our auction," said Rachael Himsel, BPP public relations director. \nWhile some might consider a documentary to be just a video, to the BPP, it will mean more \n"The documentary will capture significant events and the evolution of the BPP," Arnove said. "It's important to have history and important to reveal to the local community and outside world what contributions the BPP is making."\n-- Contact staff writer Jennifer Griffin at jdgriffi@indiana.edu.