world

7 U.S. Marines, 3 Iraqi soldiers killed in car bombing

Apparent suicide attack marks deadliest strike against American troops in 4 months

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- An apparent suicide bomber detonated an explosives-packed vehicle on the outskirts of Fallujah Monday, killing seven U.S. Marines and three Iraqi national guardsmen, the U.S. military said. It was the deadliest day for U.S. forces in four months of fighting.\nIn Baghdad, an Interior Ministry spokesman said medical tests on a man being held in custody showed he is not former president Saddam Hussein's deputy, Izzat Ibrahim al-Douri, ending conflicting claims about his purported arrest.\nThe man is a relative of al-Douri, said Interior Ministry spokesman Sabah Kadhim, and was wanted by authorities, but not an important member of Saddam's ousted regime.\nThe suicide bombing 9 miles north of Fallujah destroyed two Humvees, witnesses said. Medical teams in helicopters swept into the dusty, barren site to ferry away the injured, and troops sealed off the surrounding wreckage.\nThe force of the car bomb sent the vehicle's engine "a good distance" from the site, a military official said.\nThe Marines killed were members of the 1st Marine Expeditionary Force, which is charged with securing the western Anbar province, an area rife with guerrillas. Names of the dead U.S. and Iraqi troops were withheld pending family notification.\nFour Iraqis were wounded by fire from U.S. troops near the site of the bombing, said Ahmed Bassem of the Fallujah General Hospital. The U.S. military was unable to immediately confirm the report.\nAt least 990 U.S. service members have died since the beginning of military operations in Iraq in March 2003, according to an Associated Press count based on the latest Defense Department figures and deaths reported Sunday and Monday. Two U.S. soldiers were killed in a mortar barrage outside Baghdad Sunday.\nIn Baghdad, three U.S. soldiers were wounded in a roadside bombing Monday. The military also said an unmanned U.S. spy aircraft crashed Monday in Fallujah. Jubilant residents picked up pieces of the drone and danced in the streets, displaying pieces of the aircraft to reporters, witnesses said.\nU.S. forces have not patrolled inside Fallujah since April, when U.S. Marines ended a three-week siege. The city has since fallen into the hands of insurgents who have used it as a base to manufacture car bombs and launch attacks on U.S. and Iraqi government forces.\nThe U.S. military has retaliated by launching several airstrikes on insurgent safehouses in the city.\nMonday's deaths were the largest number of Americans killed in combat in a single day since May 2, when nine U.S. troops died in separate mortar attacks and roadside bombings in Baghdad, Ramadi and Kirkuk.\nSeven troops were killed on two days last month, but in each case, there were six Americans and one foreign coalition member who died. On Aug. 21, six U.S. service members and one Polish soldier died in combat, and six were killed Aug. 15, along with a Ukrainian soldier.\nOn Sunday, Iraqi officials said they had nabbed al-Douri during a shootout north of Baghdad, but later in the day the Iraqi defense minister said word of his arrest was "baseless."\n"The required tests to identify him showed that he is not Izzat al-Douri," Kadhim told The Associated Press.\nThere have been incorrect reports of al-Douri's arrest in the past.\nAmerican officials believe that al-Douri is playing an organizing role in the 16-month insurgency that has plagued U.S. forces here.\nAl-Douri was once the vice chairman of the Baath Party's Revolutionary Command Council and U.S. military officials believe he played an organizing role in the 16-month-old insurgency.\nHe is No. 6 on the U.S. military's list of 55 most-wanted figures from Saddam's regime, and U.S. forces have offered a $10 million bounty for his arrest. Forty-four of the people on the list already have been killed or captured.\nSaddam was arrested Dec. 13, hiding in a tiny underground bunker near Adwar.\nAlso Monday, a Turkish driver taken hostage in Iraq was released by his captors, Turkey's Foreign Ministry said. The release came a day after the driver's company announced it would withdraw from Iraq in line with his captors' demands.\nU.S. and Iraqi national guardsmen clashed with insurgents in the northern city of Mosul, the U.S. military said. Hospital officials said three civilians were killed and nine others wounded in the fighting late Sunday.\nIraqi police in the northern city of Kirkuk Monday seized a car packed with explosives that authorities believed was going to be used by a suicide bomber, said police Col. Sarhad Qadir. He said 38 people were detained during the operation. Two days earlier, a suicide car bombing outside a Kirkuk police academy killed 20 people and injured 50.\nIn a separate incident in northern Iraq, unidentified gunmen shot and killed a Norwegian woman married to an Iraqi Kurd and slightly wounded her daughter, a police officer said Monday.\nCol. Saman Mohammed of the local police in the northern city of Sulaimaniyah said the incident occurred Friday night when Marita Stroem, 38, her husband and their 5-year-old daughter were returning home from dinner at a friend's house.\nPolice questioned Stroem's husband and an official of the Patriotic Union of Kurdistan with whom they had dinner. The husband said during his interrogation that he believes that Muslim extremists may have killed his wife because she is a Westerner, Mohammed said.