Monday, June 17

Student composers featured in harp semifinals

Recent IU doctoral graduate and composer Mischa Zupko was never interested in composing for the harp. But, a few years ago when he heard harpist and then-IU student Maria Luisa Rayán wanted to work with a composer on a harp composition, he jumped at the opportunity. Rayán was one of the most accomplished harpists to come through IU, having finished second twice and eighth once at the USA International Harp Competition.\nWith Rayán's help, Zupko wrote "Despedida," which he later entered into the 2003 USA International Harp Composition Contest.\nHe tied for first in the competition with fellow IU graduate student Garrett Byrnes, who wrote "Visions in Twilight," which is currently being featured with Zupko's piece in the semifinals of this year's USA IHC. Each of the remaining 12 competitors at this year's competition are required to play either song as part of her or his repertoire in the third round of the competition that began last night and continues until 6 p.m. today at Auer Hall. \nZupko said his song was inspired by Latin culture.\n"I've always had an affinity for Latin arts, poetry, paintings and music," Zupko said. "I thought given that (Rayán) is Argentinian, it would be a nice opportunity to do something based on Latin art form." \nZupko said "Despedida," which means "farewell" in Spanish, is based on a poem of the same name by Federico Garcia Lorca.\n"The idea of the poem is based on making a transition in your life, leaving something behind and forging ahead and having the kind of nostalgic reminiscence of what you have left behind," Zupko said.\nSusann McDonald, IU distinguished professor of music and founder of USA IHC, said that while Zupko's "Despedida" is a poignant farewell with soft melodic passages, Byrnes' "Visions in Twilight" has an aura of suspense.\n"I wanted to write the most aggressive piece of music for the harp that I possibly could," Byrnes said.\nHe also composed his piece with one of IU's most accomplished harpists, Fatma Ceren Necipoglu of Turkey.\nHaving heard their pieces performed by two IU harpists, both Byrnes and Zupko said they were excited at the opportunity to hear their music played by a variety of performers in the competition.\n"I'm looking forward to hearing a couple of different interpretations here," Zupko said.\nByrnes said he was especially eager to hear his pieces performed in a competition rather than a concert.\n"This is different in that it's an actual competition," Byrnes said. "There's a real pressure on these performers to play these pieces as well as humanly possible."\nIU alumna and contestant Meng-Lu Chiu said Byrnes' "Visions in Twilight" requires more special techniques, but she especially enjoyed playing Zupko's "Despedida."\n"(Despedida) has more regular techniques, but it sounds just beautiful," she said.\nByrnes and Zupko are already well-accomplished composers. Both have received numerous awards and had many of their works performed around the world. They discussed their works in a session called "Meet the Composers" Wednesday morning immediately before the semifinals. \n"I think both works may well become standards in harp repertoire," McDonald said.\nThe USA IHC features top harpists from around the world ranging in age from 16 to 32. Twelve of the original 45 contestants advanced to the semifinals including Julie Smith, who finished third in the 2001 competition. \nChiu and current IU graduate students Fan Fen Tai, Isabelle Steinbruchel and freshman Jane Yoon qualified for the second stage. However, no IU students qualified for the semifinals. Three finalists will perform with the IU Festival Orchestra in the final stage 7 p.m., Sunday at the IU Auditorium. \n-- Contact staff writer Steven Chung at stchung@indiana.edu.