Monday, June 17

Former IDS food columnist reveals 'Cookie Dough Delights'

Graduate student and former Indiana Daily Student food columnist Camilla Saulsbury recently published "Cookie Dough Delights," which hit bookshelves in June with mixed reviews from critics. \nThe book features recipes such as "Ginger and Lime Cheesecake Tartlets" and "Stacked, Packed Peanut Butter-Fudge Chocolate Chippers," all made using an 18-ounce roll of store-bought cookie dough as a base.\nAs a child, Saulsbury's mom encouraged her to experiment with cooking, which sparked her interest in recipes and led to a career in food writing. With no previous journalism experience, Saulsbury started writing food columns for the IDS in 1998.\n"I wanted to try food writing, and (at the IDS) I was given the flexibility to explore different styles of writing," she said.\nIn 2001, Saulsbury's column was noticed by JD Denny, editor of the Manchester Monitor, a newspaper in North Manchester, Ind. Denny said he was so impressed by the quality of Saulsbury's writing that he hired her. \n"She always tells a good story related to her recipes," Denny said. "I tried two or three of her recipes myself, but I read them every week because they are interesting."\nWhen Saulsbury wasn't writing articles, she was experimenting with recipes and entering them in cooking contests. In the last five years, Saulsbury has entered and won over 50 contests. She has won the Better Homes and Gardens grand prize, the Pace salsa grand prize of $20,000 and the Post Brunch Cook-Off grand prize of $10,000. She is also featured in "Cook Off," Amy Sutherland's book about the cutthroat world of cooking contests.\nCreating recipes for contests led Saulsbury to begin thinking about writing her own cookbook.\nHolly Stocking, an IU journalism professor, said she supports her cookbook aspirations.\n"If you're a creative cook and a fine writer, a cookbook just makes sense," Stocking said.\nIn her cookbook, Saulsbury said she wanted to create an assortment of "college-student friendly" recipes for inexperienced cooks with limited time and resources.\n"I'm really into encouraging people who haven't cooked before to try it," she said. \nWith one book under her belt, Saulsbury is currently working on a Ph.D. in sociology and working on her dissertation about home cooking. Professor Stocking is on Saulsbury's dissertation committee.\n"I'm interested in how people experience home cooking," she said. \nSaulsbury said her dissertation is about the way people define home cooking. Despite the fact that people claim home cooking is dying people are doing it as much as before -- just with different resources and techniques. Saulsbury said cooking with kits and pre-made materials is just as legitimate as making meals from scratch.\nSaulsbury said she has a lot of ideas brewing for another cookbook in the future. "Cookie Dough Delights" is about $17 and available at most major bookstores and at www.amazon.com.\n-- Contact staff writer Brittany Terwilliger at bterwill@indiana.edu.