Camp S.O.U.L. program trains high school students

As the cicadas become silent, 29 Indiana high school students have broken the summer's stillness by participating in Camp S.O.U.L,, a summer camp dedicated to teaching students about their black musical heritage. The camp began Monday afternoon and continues until Friday.\nCamp S.O.U.L., an idea conceived by Mary Tourner, director of the Office of Community and School Partnerships, and Tyron Cooper, IU Soul Revue director, was launched this year along with Achievers, a college preparation program. S.O.U.L. stands for Students Obtaining Unique musical Levels.\nDirector of the Afro- American Arts Institute Charles Sykes said he is excited about the camp.\n"The idea of summer camps has been talked about for a long time," he said. "But what has really made this possible has been the new (Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center)."\nTourner, who assumed her position as director last year, said Camp S.O.U.L. is a logical extension of the existing middle school programs her office organizes.\n"I wanted to take the office's middle school programs to the next level," she said. "I brainstormed with Tyron Cooper, and we came up with the idea of piloting a musical and college prep program for high school students."\nCooper has been involved in the day-to-day operations of the camp's implementation. He auditioned and interviewed most of the applicants and planned the camp's schedule based on his experience with Soul Revue.\n"Camp S.O.U.L. is not just a music camp," he said. "It is meant to provide intellectual stimulation to students besides helping them shape their career goals and become socially responsible citizens."\nCooper said the camp also seeks to highlight music as an integral aspect of the black cultural experience.\n"Music and culture are intertwined in the Afro-American community," he said. "There is no boundary between the two."\nAdrian Lark, a high school junior from Gary, was selected for the camp in a local competition. She has visited IU before and is enjoying her experience at the camp.\n"The camp is like a big family," she said. "I like the campus very much except for the walking." \nLark has benefited immensely from the camp.\n"I have learned a lot from Tyron's fun way of teaching," she said. "I have also gained more knowledge about music and the history of Afro-American music."\nChelsea Duckwall, a high school student from Noblesville, Ind., said she has learned a lot not only about music forms but also about a culture she previously did not have much knowledge about.\n"The most satisfying aspect has been meeting new people with similar interests and experiencing a different culture," she said. "I have also expanded my music repertoire by learning new genres like hip hop and jazz."\nCooper is impressed by the intellectual abilities of the participants. \n"It is very satisfying to watch the students grasp knowledge at such a quick pace and become enlightened about Afro-American music," he said. "They are very inquisitive about Afro-American culture and other cultures."\n"But we hope to teach the students more than music and their Afro-American heritage," he said, "We want to let the students know that they have options, and they should consider attending college." \nThe participants of Camp S.O.U.L. will hold a musical performance at 11 a.m. Friday at the Wells-Metz Theatre to showcase their talents. \nTourner said she encourages IU students to attend the event. \n"This will be the culmination of their learning," she said. "If you have seen Soul Revue, you will be even more interested in hearing the most talented high school singers across the state." \nTourner said she is satisfied with the results so far.\n"Organizing this camp has been a lot of hard work," she said. "But what makes it worthwhile is the happy faces of the participants."\n-- Contact staff writer Sheeba Madan at smadan@indiana.edu.