BAAC needs gallery submissions for exhibits

Search for new art begins for upcoming gallery season

As one gallery season nears its end, the Bloomington Area Arts Council begins planning for future exhibits. The BAAC is calling for proposals of exhibition from area artists for its 2005 gallery season at the Rosemary P. Miller and Flashlight Galleries in the John Waldron Arts Center. \nBAAC Executive Director Sally Gaskill said proposals will be reviewed by a panel of jurors at the BAAC who will give selected artists exhibition space in the galleries. The organization will accept show proposals from local artists until June 28.\n"The mission of this exhibition is to provide local and regional artists a professional avenue and local audiences a high quality experience," Gaskill said. "The unique aspect will be the 'Card in Stone' theme, though."\nLocal ceramic artist Marcy Neiditz exhibited her work this season. It was inspired by organic items in nature including branches, roots, bones and abstract body parts. \n"I search to find odd and quirky forms that suggest breathing living organisms, gasping for the last breath of air," she said in her artist's statement. \nShe said she thought local artists may have a better chance of obtaining space in the gallery by presenting well-written resumes, artists' statements and quality slides of their work.\nThe jury selected Neiditz's last year to be displayed with the designs of two other artists. \n"The exhibition was very-well coordinated," she said. "The work feels like it belongs there." \nLocal photographer Gretchen Kromer, whose work is currently on display at the Waldron, said she was impressed by Gallery Director Mary Hambly's efforts to coordinate group exhibitions. She also said she liked the center's gallery arrangements. \n"It is a beautiful space to showcase my work," Kromer said. "The high ceilings and the careful lighting really contribute to the professional quality setup. The overall effect is as good as you can find in galleries in Boston or Chicago." \nNeiditz said she wished BAAC had more funding and bigger galleries for bigger shows because of what the group does for the Bloomington community is significant in exposing the public to local culture, talent and art. \n"Every city needs a non-profit organization like the Bloomington Area Arts Council to provide an avenue to both professional and emerging artists," Neiditz said.\n-- Contact staff writer Sheeba Madan at smadan@indiana.edu.