Students show off passion for fashion

Students come together in the name of fashion and fun

The Apparel Merchandising Organization is one of the largest groups on campus, consisting of over 300 members engaging in fun and educational activities relating to fashion. One of the long-awaited AMO events is the annual fashion show which will take place tonight at 7:00 p.m. in Alumni Hall at the Indiana Memorial Union. The AMO Fashion Show is put on by apparel merchandising and interior design majors, and will feature a combination of looks from local retailers and IU Costume Construction Technology students. Local retailers include Urban Outfitters, Cha Cha, JR Stallsmith and JR Waters. A number of CCT students donated personal designs from their course projects, such as suits and corsets, to be presented in AMO's show. AMO members have worked all year in preparation to deliver another end-of-year production to reflect their hard work. \n"We started working on the show right after the summer," said Jamie Held, the show's assistant manager and sophomore majoring in apparel merchandising. "The past few weeks have just been crazy. I'm nervous, but I'm also really excited."\nThe producers of the show wanted to come up with a theme people can relate to and have fun with. The decision to have a "New York" theme for the show satisfied their desire. The New York City skyline will be the backdrop for the show, providing a scene of models strutting to famous New York songs, which divulges the excitement, craziness and surprises associated with New York City. \nDressing 600 people seems extreme, but the AMO knows it can be done. The show will be divided into segments -- corsets, tutus, final projects of CCT students and apparel from local retailers. The show gives the fashion design students and the CCT students an opportunity to show off their craft.\n"I get to wear my own corset, jacket and skirt," said Heather Elrod, a model and senior majoring in fashion design. "They're all made out of leather because that's what will be my line for next year."\nCCT students in their third and fourth semesters are assigned to design corsets and tutus -- a course requirement. Student designers then volunteer their products if they want to present them. \n"This year, we focused more on student designers," said fashion show director and senior Lisa Dininger. "Usually officers aren't CCT majors. Since I'm an AMID and CCT major, I really want to give student designers a chance to show off their work." \nAlthough the event is called a "fashion show," the AMO has encompassed a lot more than models walking down the runway in the latest styles. A pre-show banquet will be used to introduce the new AMO officers. The IU Essence Dance Team will give two performances between segments. \nThe actual fashion show will begin at 8 p.m., but audience members who arrive early can purchase a raffle ticket. Over $13,000 in prizes has been raised so far this year, according to AMO president Karielle Foist. The money from the raffle will go to scholarships for AMO members. For more information, call 333-4746.\n-- Contact staff writer Mallory Zalkin at mzalkin@indiana.edu.