String of assaults reported during Little 5 weekend

IUPD deals with 4 cases; sexual assault, battery arrests occur

Four cases of assault were reported during the IU Police Department's busiest weekend of the year.\nA woman reported a battery Friday she said occurred Wednesday night at 11:10 p.m. at Alpha Tau Omega. IUPD Lt. Jerry Minger said the woman charged another female hit her while she was drinking a beverage.\n"She said she was with a friend and another female threatened her," Minger said. "She hit the cup she was drinking from and the cup, in turn, hit her mouth."\nMinger said the woman was advised of her options. \nA woman also reported being unnecessarily fondled outside the IU Health Center Saturday. Minger said the woman was walking home when she was approached by five or six men near the center. The woman said some of them grabbed her legs, some of them grabbed her arms, and one of the males "kissed her all over." \nThe woman, who said she did not know the men, reported no injuries. Minger said the woman was informed of services available to her at the Health Center. The case is classified as a "forcible fondling."\nSaturday, an officer reported investigating a shuttle bus stopping just north of Fee Lane, Minger said. The officer observed the driver of the shuttle, known as the "drunk bus," escorting out three males. The men -- freshmen David Kennedy, Brian Vogel and Connor Hay -- reportedly exhibited a "strong odor of alcohol."\nMinger said Kennedy was charged with battery, public intoxication and illegal consumption. Vogel was charged with public intoxication and illegal consumption, and Hay received only the public intoxication charge. All three men were taken to Monroe County Jail.\nWitnesses reported a baseball argument was the root of the altercation, Minger said. \n"The incident started when two groups got into a debate over the Cubs and the Yankees," Minger said. "It was advised that Kennedy became combative and started the fight."\nKennedy and Vogel had no comment and Hay did not return phone calls by press time.\nSunday, Minger said, officers responded to a call to the track fieldhouse. Upon arrival, officers observed many people running to the middle of the dance floor, apparently in reaction to a fight. Minger said 19-year-old Swen Drane, one of the male subjects involved in the fight, was arrested and apparently tried to resist. \n"The male had blood coming from his nose and lip area, but needed no medical treatment," Minger said. Drane was charged with disorderly conduct.\nAlso arrested for disorderly conduct were Ramon Barnett, 21, Laron Edwards, 18 and Brandon Stum, 21.\n-- Contact staff writer Rick Newkirk at renewkir@indiana.edu.