Junior learns life lessons in Bulgaria

IU student studies in 'non-traditional' country, experiences culture

Nathan Gilbert is an IU junior majoring in folklore who spent the fall semester in a study abroad program in Bulgaria.\nWith so many study abroad options available, Bulgaria is not a common choice, according to the IU Overseas Study Program, which refers to it as a "non-traditional destination."\nStill, IU Overseas Study Program Coordinator Paige Wetie said such off-beat locations offer worthwhile experiences. \n"Students who study in a non-traditional locations have a truly unique experience, one that most of their peers who study in developed Western nations will not be able to experience. Study abroad experiences in Bulgaria or Peru, or Thailand are truly unique," Wetie said. "Those students who study in developing nations experience life as the majority of the world population does, and they get a unique view into the struggle and joys of life in the developing world."\nGilbert traveled to Bulgaria three years ago for a few weeks and became fascinated with the many aspects of life there, including the people, culture, music and country, he said.\nWhen many Americans hear the name Bulgaria, they conjure up images of iron-fisted dictators, May Day parades and long lines at state-run grocery stores waiting for low-quality food. \nGilbert said when he talks about his studying in Bulgaria, the response always runs along the lines of, "That's in South America, isn't it?"\nBulgaria is a country of which most Americans have heard; they just don't know much about it, Gilbert said.\n"Bulgaria is actually a very beautiful country with incredible countryside, including a spectacular mountain range," he said. "I didn't know much about Bulgaria before I went, except that they have a very rich culture and history."\nThat rich history comes in many forms, including the influences of other nation-states like the Soviets and the once powerful Ottoman Empire and their cultures, Gilbert said.\nThe International Student Exchange Program is the world's largest organization working with post-secondary learning institutions to provide foreign learning opportunities for students. According to the Bulgaria country handbook on its Web site, notwithstanding the periodically rough economy, Bulgaria continually ranks among the highest in the world in science and math test scores.\nGilbert spent his semester studying music, Russian language, anthropology and the history of Bulgaria. He said he enjoyed the studying and noticed the typical observation of students from places outside the U.S.: that the students in Bulgaria took their education quite a bit more seriously than those in the U.S.\nNot only did Gilbert say he grew academically, but also did most of his learning outside of the classroom, absorbing the culture and lifestyle in a nation erratic water pressure and often day-late import of newspapers.\nGilbert said for him, a normal day in Bulgaria would probably consist of going to class, spending some time in the library, going out to a cafe for coffee and cognac and just sitting with friends and talking for hours. In the evening, he said he often went out for a nice dinner and a beer and spent some hours dancing in discotechs he described as "wonderful."\n"After living abroad, especially in a country like Bulgaria, I definitely feel like I've grown as a person," Gilbert said. "My mind is more open to foreign ideas. My friend once told me I have an 'international consciousness.' I like this idea. It is important for people to open up their views and appreciate other ways of life."\n-- Contact staff writer Brandon Morley at bmorley@indiana.edu.