IU tennis club stresses fitness, fun exercise

Club competes in 6 to 7 meets a year while offering quality value

Out on the Student Recreational Sports Center's tennis courts this spring, you won't find the Williams sisters, Anna Kournikova or Andy Roddick. Instead, members of the IU tennis club will be out on the courts polishing their skills. \nOne of those members is club Vice President Jon Lamb. Lamb said if you like tennis, the club offers a great value.\n"The courts at the tennis center cost $20 an hour to rent," Lamb said. "We play at the courts four times a week for an hour-and-a-half in the winter. So the cost to join the club definitely makes sense to pay if you like tennis. It's a great deal." \nThe club is open to any student or faculty members, as well as people not associated with the University. It offers two free visits at the practices to prospective members to see what the club has to offer. All sorts of skill levels are represented on the team and are invited to join.\nThe club is rather diverse. It boasts members from India, Ukraine, Pakistan, Russia, France, Korea and Italy. The team started traveling about four or five years ago. Each semester, the club schedules around six to seven matches. Next year the club plans to go to the National Collegiate Club Tournament, club President Neville Batiwalla said. \n"So far, we have gone to Ohio University, University of Kentucky and have participated in the Midwest Regional at the University of Wisconsin-Madison," Batiwalla said. \nAs far as matches at home, the club has played host to Northwestern and Miami of Ohio. \n"It's fun when we invite another team to come play us because after our matches, we'll hang out and socialize with the other teams," said Vice-President Brian Wilson. \nThis semester, the club tennis team consists of approximately 65 active members. This is up from the fall when they had around 55. To join, the club charges $50 for one semester or $90 for the entire academic year. \nThe club also offers a summer session, which will cost $25. These dues cover the cost of balls, matches, practices, drills and travel. Fundraising programs, such as selling T-shirts, has also been a way of financing the team. \nIn addition, the University also supports the club with cash and supplies it with indoor court times during the winter at the IU Tennis Center. At the center, practices are usually held from 8:30 to 10 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday night. In the fall and the spring, the team practices from 4 to 6 p.m. every day at the SRSC tennis courts.\nThe tennis club is also a great way to get in shape, said Batiwalla. \n"It's a great cardiovascular workout, and the sport can even make you smarter with the strategy involved," Batiwalla said. \nFor more information about the IU tennis club, visit its Web site at http://mypage.iu.edu/~iutennis/ or contact them through e-mail at iutennis@indiana.edu.\n-- Contact staff writer Ryan Corazza at rcorazza@indiana.edu.