IU outlasts 7th inning scare to win win earn big victory

Hoosiers knock off No. 30 Louisville with winning run

Playing a tough schedule ended up paying off for IU in the end.\nIt looked as if the Hoosiers had the game in hand -- then came the seventh inning. With IU up 2-0, Louisville countered with two runs to tie the score before IU upended the Cardinals in extra innings, 3-2.\nThe Hoosiers had been in these close battles before, and this time the Hoosiers (26-25, 2-8 Big Ten) came up on top to gain momentum with a non-conference win heading back into conference play.\nIU started the game strong when freshman Tory Yamaguchi drove in a run, giving IU the lead. \nIU's offense struck again in the bottom of the fourth inning as senior Abby Stark drove in another run, putting the No. 30 Cardinals in a 2-0 hole. The Hoosiers steadily dismantled Louisville and only needed three more outs in the top of the seventh inning to put the game away. \nCardinal freshman Courtney Moore started the inning with a double. Two wild pitches later Moore crossed home plate and cut the Hoosiers lead in half. Later in the inning, sophomore Michelle Vasquez doubled, driving in the game-tying RBI. \n"I was disappointed with what happened in the seventh inning," IU coach Sara Hayes Nottger said. "I wanted to get some game experience for some of our players, but I didn't intend for the game to be tied up. I knew that our team was going to fight back and I knew we would have more opportunities to win later in the game."\nLouisville threatened again in the top of the eighth inning as junior Lisa Estes hit a triple, putting the Cardinals into scoring position. IU senior Heather Stillians fought for the last two outs of the inning and the Hoosiers came out of the inning unscathed. \nIn the bottom of the eighth inning, junior Ashley Griffiths got the offense going for the Hoosiers with a single. Yamaguchi again got a clutch hit for IU -- making her 4-4 on the day -- putting the Hoosiers in scoring position. Sophomore Mariangee Bogado stepped to the plate and calmly hit an infield single, driving in the game-winning run. \n"I was relaxed the whole day and came ready to play," Yamaguchi said. "We didn't know how big of a win this was for us until after the game. Once coach Nottger read us some stats on Louisville after the game, we realized just how big this win was."\nYamaguchi carried the Hoosiers' offense, but it was Stillians on the mound who carried the Hoosiers on defense. Stillians, who started the game, was called on again in the bottom of the seventh inning to create some outs in the recently-tied game. Stillians struck out a batter in both the seventh and eighth innings -- giving her four strikeouts on the game. \n"I was very confident coming into the game after our game against Minnesota," Stillians said. "After I gave up that hit in the top of the eighth inning, I told myself that there was no way they were going to score off of me."\nStillians came through, forcing outs from the next two batters she faced.\nIU continues its conference schedule as it travels to Evanston, Ill., to face Northwestern Friday and Saturday with Friday's contest starting at 4 p.m. and Saturday's beginning at noon. Sunday, Michigan State will play host to the Hoosiers for a doubleheader starting at noon. \n-- Contact staff writer Mark Carlson at mecarlso@indiana.edu.