Hoosiers split series with Iowa

Team pounds Hawkeyes 25-9 to even series with last place team

After dropping two of three games to Iowa Friday and Saturday, the Hoosiers came out with the bats swinging as they evened up the conference series at two wins a piece Sunday. \nIU collected 22 hits en route to a 25-9 beating of the Hawkeyes. The 25 runs mark the second time the Hoosiers have scored more than 20 runs in a single game this year. \nOn a day when the wind was blowing heavily, the IU hitters took advantage and went on an offensive explosion. \nIU coach Bob Morgan jokingly referred to Sembower Field as "Windblower Field," yet Morgan was still very pleased with the way his team hit the ball. \n"We swung the bats well all weekend, with the exception of Friday, but it was contagious today," Morgan said. "They got a couple of base hits early, and we started off fairly slow. But once the hitting got going, it just caught on."\nThe Hawkeyes jumped out to a 3-0 lead off Hoosier starter junior Brian Lortz. But Lortz settled in and pitched well enough to get the victory to go to 3-1 on the year. \nThe offensive explosion was ignited in the third inning when junior Jay Brant hit a two-run home run to left field. The Hoosiers proceeded to put nine more runs on the board, giving them 11 for the inning and a 13-4 lead. \n"The difference today was we had guys in scoring position, and we moved them in" Brant said. \nSophomore Reggie Watson led IU with four hits on the day. Junior Joe Kemp also chipped in with two hits on the day, both of them home runs, giving him five on the season. \nKemp emphasized the importance of this game for the team.\n"We swung the bats a lot better. This was a must-win game and was very important to come back and even the series," Kemp said. \nThe Hoosiers split a double header Saturday with the Hawkeyes, winning the first game 5-4 and losing the second 12-7. In the first game of the series Friday, IU lost 7-3. \nMorgan was pleased with the big win Sunday but stressed the importance of pitching better. \n"Don't let scoring 25 runs take away from the fact that we need to pitch better," Morgan said. "But a conference win is a conference win, whether it is 2-1 or 25-9."\nThe Hoosiers are now 21-14 for the season and 5-7 in the Big Ten. Their next game is scheduled for 3 p.m. Wednesday against Miami of Ohio at Sembower Field. \n-- Contact staff writer Alex Witteveld at pawittev@indiana.edu.