Final round fade ties Hoosiers for third

Akron, Ohio -- After beginning Sunday's final round in second at the First Energy Intercollegiate at Firestone Country Club, the IU men's golf team was looking forward to a competitive final round. But costly penalties at Firestone's par 3, 17th hole put the Hoosiers in third place. \nFreshman David Butwell, sophomore Scott Seibert, and junior Mike Birkenfeld all hit into the water on 17 for double bogeys.\n"The last few holes we were playing dead into the wind," junior Jeff Overton said. "We were really close to the lead with three holes left. But, the last three holes we shot ourselves in the foot."\nThe penalties contributed to a team total of 869, good enough to tie Kent State for third. IU finished eight strokes behind tournament champion Xavier and six behind runner-up Toledo.\nIU was confident entering the final round because of a strong first day showing. The Hoosiers shot 282 in round one, tying Kent State for the lead. A second round charge by the Golden Flashes put IU three strokes off the lead after two rounds, yet confidence remained high.\n"This is where we can seal our place in the regional," Butwell said after the second round. "Everyone's playing well."\nJunior Heath Peters and Overton finished among six players tied for third with 214, and Siebert finished three strokes out of the top 20. But, with three players in the water, the Hoosier's hopes were effectively dashed on the 17th hole.\n"Standing on 17, we were in pretty good position, then I look and see three straight balls in the water and three straight double bogeys. At that point we were right in the middle of everything," IU coach Mike Mayer said. "We just didn't get done what we needed to get done."\nEven though he was frustrated with the finish, Mayer was still able to draw positives from the tournament.\n"Scott Seibert played really solid, he had a nice solid tournament. Heath Peters had an outstanding finishing round, and David Butwell contributed. So we'll try to take some positives."\nThe Hoosiers will return to competition next weekend when they tee off in the Taylor Made Fossum Invitational in East Lansing, Mich.