Whoa, IU has other sports

I have a tough job.\nEvery week, I have to write something that is quasi-relevant and makes sense to someone besides me. How it is received is another matter altogether, but one that I will always hear about, whether it is "You're way too harsh, you jag" or "I think you took it easy on those guys."\nNot that I'm complaining. The perks are great. I've been to some cool places and talked to interesting people. After all, I'm pulling in three figs a year just to watch sports. That's the kind of work I'd be willing to do for only two figs.\nThe perks aren't as all-encompassing as some like to think, though. I still have to pay $3 a cup at house parties. I still have to bum rides off my friends. I still haven't found a job for next year.\nOne time a guy even asked me, "So does writing for the paper help out with, ya know, the ladies?"\nMy only response to that is, "Try using the line 'Hey baby, I can type 20 words a minute. Wanna see?' It gets 'em every time."\nBut coming into this weekend, I realized that I would be facing my biggest obstacle of the year. With no IU game this weekend, I had no material to work with. What deep and dark portion of my brain would I have to pick to think of something to write about?\nAnd then it occurred to me. Men's basketball isn't the only sport at IU. Brilliant!\nSo I decided to take in the hockey game on Saturday and the women's basketball game Sunday. And I have come back to report these results to you: I found these events to be just as exciting as -- no, correct that, more exciting than -- a typical IU men's basketball game.\nThe hockey game was full of everything that makes hockey great. There was plenty of scoring, plenty of hits and spectacular saves. Even the zamboni driver displayed thorough craftsmanship.\nThough it was the biggest hockey blowout I have ever seen, as IU rolled over Bowling Green 10-1, the game also featured the most incredible incident I have ever witnessed at a sporting event.\nAfter getting ejected from the game for fighting, a Bowling Green player was headed to the locker room. It's unclear what instigated what happened next, but all of the sudden he started fighting with an IU fan. Within seconds, there were more fans on the scene and half of the Bowling Green bench cleared into the crowd to turn the incident into a downright melee.\nIt was literally like a scene right out of the movie "Slap Shot," without the Hanson brothers.\nThings calmed down a bit when the Bloomington Police Department arrived. Minus five ejected players, Bowling Green said, "Game on" and finished the game as if nothing had happened.\nThe women's basketball featured nothing of this magnitude, but it did not lack in dramatic intrigue. The Hoosiers took No. 23 Michigan State down to the wire, with Cyndi Valentin hitting a desperation three as the buzzer sounded to bring the game into overtime.\nIU came up short in OT, but at least it was a heck of a game.\nAs the men's season mercifully draws closer to the end, keep in mind that there are plenty of other sports at IU that can give you a thrill for cheap (as in free). The temperature is rising, and that means baseball is in the air.\nI've said before that I would like to see IU institute some sort of points system that would benefit students who attend sporting events like these that could be used for the privilege of sitting in a student section at Assembly Hall. But don't feel that you have to wait for that day to come to show support for the Hoosiers in more than one sport.