Students getting 'spring fever' as weather warms

Comfortable climate means more time outside, less in class

It's a simple equation -- take one winter-weary student, add high temperatures and an infinite amount of sunshine, and subtract hats, gloves and snow scrapers. Divide by class schedule and multiply by peer pressure. It doesn't take an accounting major to realize "spring fever" means skipping classes. \nSoon after spring break, the snow drifts will have melted and the winter coats will be resting in the back of the closet. Many students find themselves asking the pressing question: to go to class or not to go to class. For many IU students, warmer weather persuades the latter.\n"When it starts to get nice out I feel I have to take advantage of it by being outside, playing sports, and throwing around the Frisbee," said sophomore Stephanie Han.\nAs the weather gets nicer the abundance of football throwing, hacky-sacking and simply laying around outside becomes more evident around campus. From the touchdown passes in Dunn Meadow to the sun soakers in their lawn chairs outside of McNutt Quad, students find an array of ways to pass their time -- sometimes class time -- outdoors. For some, getting to class is not the hard part -- it's staying there.\n"Sometimes when I am riding my skateboard to class, it's so nice out that I just keep on going," said senior Mike Wilson.\nFor professors, the work still goes on, whether students attend class or not.\n"I don't take it personal when students skip my class," said history professor Eric Sandweiss. "Teaching is my job and you can't get wrapped up in your own ego. Whether or not the class is full, the work goes on."\nFor instructors like Sandweiss, as well as Spanish associate instructor Pablo Garcia, experience has proven that spring weather accompanies empty seats.\n"I can say from my teaching experience that good weather-related absences are quite common, mostly at the beginning of spring," Garcia said. "However, as better weather becomes the norm, students don't seem as keen to take advantage of warm sunny days."\nStill, Garcia keeps a positive outlook on his indoor fate of teaching and obligations. \n"I know there will be sunny weekends soon enough. If the teacher decides to skip class, there is no class. In that case, I think it is the students who have the most to lose," he said. "I feel I owe it to my students who are not skipping class to be there myself, every time and in any weather."\n-- Contact staff writer Meghan Lucas at melucas@indiana.edu.