Hoosiers find energy to split double header with Drake

One win, one loss day keeps team 1 game over .500

The wind was blowing into the IU softball field Tuesday, but balls were still flying out. The Hoosiers (15-14) split the doubleheader against Drake (14-9), keeping IU one game over .500. \nSophomore Mariangee Bogado pitched all seven innings in game one, striking out seven batters. But Bogado's pitching performance wasn't enough to propel IU past Drake, as the Hoosiers fell 3-0 in game one. \nDrake took advantage of the fatigued Hoosiers as Bulldog sophomore Katie Wappler hit a two-run home run in the top of the fourth inning to give Drake the lead. The Bulldogs never looked back as sophomore Jamie Desjarlais drove in the Bulldogs' third run in the top of the seventh inning. \n"Our team didn't hit as well as we normally do," Bogado said, "and in the first game, I made a mistake pitching when I gave up the home run. I was ahead 0-2 in the count, and I shouldn't have thrown the pitch I did."\nThe Hoosiers' offensive slump was overcome in game two, as IU went ahead 2-0 in the first inning. Junior Ashley Griffiths started off by reaching first base. Two batters later, sophomore Tory Yamaguchi reached base as well. Sophomore Abby Page and Bogado got back-to-back hits, each driving in one run to put the Hoosiers ahead. \nIn the bottom of the second inning, freshman Kim Richards and Yamaguchi each drove in two more runs. Yamaguchi went three of three in the second game to push the Hoosiers to victory. \n"We came out rolling in the second game," Yamaguchi said. "The first game we came out really flat, and the team was down the whole game. As a team we are tired, but we would never use that as an excuse. Fatigue is not the reason we lost the first game."\nSophomore Megan Roark pitched a complete game in the second game, striking out two batters on the way to victory. \nIn the top of the fourth inning, Drake freshman Emily Hajduk put the Bulldogs on the board with a solo home run. In the top of the seventh, senior Lauren Smith threatened IU with an RBI single, making the score 4-2. Roark dug in and let her outfield put the last two batters away to give the Hoosiers the victory. \n"We've been playing good ball lately, so I was a little disappointed with our play today," IU coach Sara Nottger said. "The team is tired, but at this point of the season we are going to be tired -- so we have to find the energy to compete each day."\nIU will play host to Indiana State (17-13) Wednesday afternoon at the IU Softball Field. The first game of the doubleheader is set to start at 2 p.m. and the second at 4 p.m.\n-- Contact staff writer Mark Carlson at mecarlso@indiana.edu.