IU 'After Hours' holds singles' dance

February is upon us, and love is in the air. As that magical day of romance draws near, couples in Bloomington search for the perfect setting for the most love-filled day of the year. Some buy their significant other flowers, candy or even splurge on dinner at a fancy restaurant. \nHowever, for the majority of the single students, both on and off-campus, Valentine's Day will be just another day. Some will go out with friends suffering the same situation, staging a girls' or guys' night out. Others may sit at home and watch sappy movies on television. \nHistorically, there have not been many activities for singles on Valentine's Day. However, this year Bloomington singles have a new Valentine's Day option to consider.\nIU After Hours will host The Broken Hearts Club Dance from 9 p.m. to 12 a.m. tomorrow in the Georgian room of the Indiana Memorial Union. The event is free and open to students, staff and community residents. Mocktails (non alcoholic cocktails) and snacks will be provided.\nWhile the dance seems to be targeted more toward singles, even being labeled as a "broken hearts" dance, it is open to both singles and couples.\n"There is a lot of hype that goes into Valentine's Day," Kathleen Hampton, assistant director of IU After Hours, said. "This gives students an excuse to get dressed up and go out and do something. You never know, you might even meet someone there." \nWith past events, including the annual Student Film Fest, IU Late Night, various concerts and lectures, Union Board and IU After Hours are constantly trying to create more opportunities for students on campus.\n"IU After Hours is just one of the 11 committees that Union Board is comprised of," Scott Wilson, vice president for programming said. "It's one of our newest committees, as it just began in January."\nWhile the Broken Hearts Club dance will be for one night only, the dance is the first of many steps in the creation of a new dance club at IU.\n"We would like to start a dance club. It would be free to students and would meet either weekly or bi-weekly," David Dawson II, IU After Hours director said. "It all really depends on student interest and involvement."\nAll programming sponsored by Union Board -- including the dance -- is funded through portions of the student activity fee paid by students every semester.\n"Of the total student activity fee per semester, Union Board receives a total of $4.68," Wilson said. "(It is) to be divided among four different accounts to be used for specific types of programming."\nFor more information on the Broken Hearts Club Dance, visit www.indiana.edu/union_board.\n"It's just a chance for college singles to come out and have some fun, instead of drowning their woes in a bottle," Dawson said.\n-- Contact staff writer Jennifer Griffin at jdgriffi@indiana.edu.